Notices

Some thoughts on recovery

Old 06-25-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some thoughts on recovery

First of all I need to mention that I truly appreaciate the existence of this forum, it helps to read other people's stories, tips and things like that. It is also extremely good for venting which is a really potent tool for calming down during a bad day.

The thing about recovery thought, the knowledge of paws(originally wrote post) (post-acute withdrawal symptoms = neurological recovery/body recovery), I know those symptoms can sometimes cause unpleasant feelings but they are still signs of the the brain/body healing.

I wanted to say about this that personally, I don't actually want to spend every day and all day thinking about recovery and paws, although I am aware of them on a level. Instead I wish to live and try to be productive and move onwards. In other words I don't like thinking about recovery, paws, stuff like this everyday even if I experienced something akin to it a lot of the time.

Sometimes then, every once in a while, I keep it in check and maybe come around here and even post something. However it definately is something I don't want to be holding in my head all the time. Just to remind myself every now and then about what is taking place.

Just some thoughts. Thank you for reading.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Come here and talk/vent any time you like.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's great if that's what works for you.

For me, recovery is a way of life and it has very little to do with alcohol anymore. It's more about how I feel about my life.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by UnixBer View Post
I wanted to say about this that personally, I don't actually want to spend every day and all day thinking about recovery and paws...
Whatever works.

Personally, when I was drinking and drugging all I thought about was drinking and drugging.

Now, with almost three years sober, if I have to think about my recovery a little bit each day to stay this way, it's worth it.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm completely on board with you UnixBer!

When I allow myself to become consumed with recovery, I tend to obsess over it, over what my body is feeling, over what my mind is going through.

I think it's healthy to keep moving, keep active, and stay productive with the areas of your life that now aren't consumed with a substance, but with better activities.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey thank you all for the replies.
MrInnocuous: I think I have the same kind of thing, if I get too focused on it too often I get drained into a cycle of thinking about stuff that may lead even to negative thinking on my part. Possibly works for many people, and holding on to your recovery is no game after all. (but holding on to it doesn't work for me, sort of... in a tight grasp way).

Anna: I also have to say that recovery is or is at least now becoming a way of life for me. A life without the need for drugging substances like alcohol. A more balanced and more true life in every aspect. I already see enhancements.

Some of the things I do are exercise. I do cardio (jogging with sprints, to build endurance), within my own limits of course, luckily I'm not in total trash shape since I'm a martial artist (kickboxing mainly). Then I do almost every day either cardio (running) or strength/overall fitness training (without weights). I only skip a day when the body tells it has to rest. I find this helps a great deal, although I'm still not very "far" in recovery as the days of sobriety are covered. SR is a great support in any case.

The most important aspect in my opinion and dare I even say experience is the attitude towards life and yourself and what you really want from it. I already know that a life without alcohol is at least 100x better, because of the other benefits as well that come from it. Anyway, I consider recovery a bit of a challenge, say, a sometimes bumpy road that I walk, but that is not my main focus. (added analogy: I walk down many roads, maybe jogging, but I don't always stare at the ground, I may be cautious if there are branches or lots of obstacles(craves, otherwise need to keep in check))...