Notices

In the midst of a vacation with many drinkers

Old 06-25-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In the midst of a vacation with many drinkers

I will have 8 months on Thurs. This week we are on vacation with my partners family. Every other year I have drank along with them. But not this year. Seems this year they are drinking more than ever---but that is probably just my sober perspective. There is actually another non-drinker here--my partner. She never really drank but has stated she doesn't mind giving up the 2 drinks a year she might have had to support me. There is one big drinking female and a few big Drinking males. But there are also a few very appropriate drinkers. In fact, one woman rarely even drinks 1/2 of her drinks. Crazy, I know.

3 days in I am getting used to the constant state of alcohol-- but it was weird at first.

I am getting out and running each day-- in previous years I might do every other day to account for the mornings I didn't feel so great.

Vacationing hangover free is kind of nice. Occasionally I have a "oh I wish I could moment". But I can play it through to what usually happened--me drinking to excess.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SavingSelf View Post
I will have 8 months on Thurs. This week we are on vacation with my partners family. Every other year I have drank along with them. But not this year. Seems this year they are drinking more than ever---but that is probably just my sober perspective. There is actually another non-drinker here--my partner. She never really drank but has stated she doesn't mind giving up the 2 drinks a year she might have had to support me. There is one big drinking female and a few big Drinking males. But there are also a few very appropriate drinkers. In fact, one woman rarely even drinks 1/2 of her drinks. Crazy, I know.

3 days in I am getting used to the constant state of alcohol-- but it was weird at first.

I am getting out and running each day-- in previous years I might do every other day to account for the mornings I didn't feel so great.

Vacationing hangover free is kind of nice. Occasionally I have a "oh I wish I could moment". But I can play it through to what usually happened--me drinking to excess.
That's terrific, congrats.

I have a similar holiday coming up in a month. Looking forward to it in many ways - especially the ways in which my days won't be 1/2 - 3/4 ruined waiting for the hangover to pass.

Thanks for this.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

When you quit it's like your time is doubled. 11 months into it and I still am amazed by that. Glad you're enjoying your vacation. You'll probably even come back relaxed and rested!
Old 06-26-2013, 12:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EFC

Sounds like you definitely have the right mindset. I did a vacation about a month ago with drinking friends, and I had about 3-4 moments like you referred to, but I was able to shut them down after just a second or two. Part of that, sadly, is the result of lessons I learned during my first two attempts to quit drinking, but I am glad I am able to apply them and use them for some good. Keep enjoying your trip!
Old 06-26-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations and hang in there. When I first got sober the words NO THANK YOU were almost always enough. BE WELL
Old 06-26-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Congrats!!! I know how it is. My first sober vacation was last year and I was nervous. I had such a great time. Just know that it's not that fun. It just looks fun.

You rock!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I think this group has figured out by now that I am not drinking anymore. So I haven't even been offered anything--which helps. Yesterday I had a headache and took Advil on empty stomach and now I am hurting on off in my stomach area. Sad that I may have to ease up on carbonated drinks and spicy foods--but I am thrilled that I know for sure this has nothing to do with drinking. So often little things would pop up in the past and I would wonder "is this because I am drinking too much". No longer. Alcohol free is such a nice way to live for me.

Tomorrow I will have 8 months. So happy about that.