New here & not talking to mom

Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here & not talking to mom

Hello,
My mom is an alcoholic/pill addict. She is high functioning, has a professional job, but is always depressed and complaining. My 2 brothers live with her(both in their 30's), one of them has bipolar and has started to drink heavily as well. My mom was in recovery for about 15 years when we were growing up, but when we were little she was a horrible mess & it tore our family apart.

I have so much resentment towards her for drinking again after what she did to our family. She says that since her children are now grown she should be able to do whatever she wants, but I think it's sick that she would use alcohol around her child(adult or not) who has a drinking problem and a mental illness!

I have a nice family with a young daughter of my own and I finally decided that I can't have my mother around my family in her current state. I'm also battling health problems, trying to turn things around so I can be here to watch my daughter grow up. I told my mom that I'll be here when she gets some help, but haven't talked to her since. It is painful. We used to talk everyday. I don't have other friends, which is why I'm here. I look forward to reading all the great post and finding some support during this difficult time.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on starting this journey to healing. My dad was a functioning drunk too, always went to work and retire with great benefits but didn't stop drinking till he was incarcerated at 80. You are very wise to not let her near your children, I never did.

Yes keep reading around here and look at the stickies above, they are really helpful. Post how you are doing and feeling whenever you like.

Welcome
Old 07-06-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

youve got to get her to stop drinking or eles shell die. she is dying right now. save her.
Do anything you can.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tigerlover View Post
youve got to get her to stop drinking or eles shell die. she is dying right now. save her.
Do anything you can.
If it were possible to make someone stop drinking, the correct procedure would be posted in one of the Stickies at the top of the forum. Problem would be solved, and we could all live happily ever after.

Not how it works.

T
Old 07-06-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To put it in perspective, here's my favorite recovery song -- I don't know if he actually wrote it about drinking per se, but James Taylor's "B.S.U.R." sums it up nicely:

James Taylor B.S.U.R. - YouTube