Ironic? I think so – lol

Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ironic? I think so – lol

Got to tell you guys about a couple of comments my (R) AH (little over 90 days sober) made this past weekend. We had been out running errands and when we go home the tv was on and the program that was on was “Hording – Buried Alive” (or one similar).

I don’t particularly enjoy these shows. To me their (disease) addictions, traits and behaviors are very similar to alcoholism and sometimes it is just painful to watch, especially for the family members of the addicted person. Anyway, after getting groceries put up and a couple of other things done we sat down in the living room. Well this particular episode was pretty extreme. After he watched for about 10 min he commented “that is just disgusting – how could anyone live like that?”

Me, in my endeavor to detach and let him work his recover while I work mine kicked in and I just bit my lips and got up and went into the other room to “do busy work”. I found it so ironic that he can see it in the case of hording, but can’t in his own actions and behaviors were “just disgusting” when he was actively drinking.

The 2nd thing he got on his soap box a little later on that evening was a neighbor friend had told him about his adult daughter getting into a yelling match with him and his wife (etc.) and that she had decided to go to anger management to get a handle on it. His comment after telling me about this conversation with the neighbor was “well no child, adult or adolescent should EVER yell at their parents” Again, the irony just oozed – and all I could think about was – “yeah, you are correct, but no spouse should cuss and yell at their partner. They shouldn’t call them b!tch and cnnt and threaten to kill them either”.

He still has a long way to go, but I am happy that I am recognizing these things (finally) and be able to keep my mouth shut and chuckle to myself.