Went to my 1st Al Anon meeting last night

Old 06-25-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to my 1st Al Anon meeting last night

It was how I expected it to be. People were lovely and warm and friendly.
I'm gonna stick it out and see how I go.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! You know what they say; "take what you like and leave the rest." Sounds like you found something worth keeping.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found it so welcoming and hope you gain much from continuing to go, I know I have!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think the hardest part of AlAnon is walking through the door that first time. I'm glad you had a good experience. I hope you find the peace and clarity I found through my AlAnon friends.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all,
I'm certain it's the right time. I already have so many new thoughts going through my head. Much better than the (not very) Merry go Round I've been on for so long.
Hope entering my life at last
Blessings xxx
Old 06-25-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have put off going to a meeting for a while now. I keep finding excuses, "it's too far away", "They don't meet on convenient nights". Things like that. I hope to have the courage to go soon. I hope it helps.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Fedup, Go! It took me about four months to get there, and I was crying before they'd even started the first meeting. But I was so glad I went. I haven't gone back to that particular meeting, but they were warm & welcoming and I knew I belonged there. I've had nights where I've made up excuses to not go, but I tell myself "go, you won't regret it." If it helps, tell someone you are going to go so you feel you have someone else to be accountable to - it can even be us here. Is there a good friend or close family member that could attend the first meeting with you for support? Follow the old Nike slogan - just do it!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fed Up,
It wasn't strictly my 1st meeting I went to a meeting when I lived in another part of the country about 3 years ago, I was totally anxious and never returned. This time I knew I was ready. I'd read the stickys about meetings and looked at the online Al Anon site, listened to interviews and read what people had to say on here.
One thing that I found really helpful was talking to the people at the Al Anon helpline, they were kind and helpful and gave me the number of the group organiser who was also so kind and caring it reassured me that I would be welcomed. I need help and as far as I can see this is the only place where I can get it.
You'll get there,
Blessings xxx