Rational Rhetoric

Old 04-17-2002, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down Rational Rhetoric

A couple of posts on the general recovery board and the alcoholism board prompted me to go visit the rational recovery site (rational.org). It's an alternative recovery system that I would probably think was kind of neat except that they want to blast 12 step programs. Everything about 12 steps is wrong. You can't even have a relapse. Oh, I mean you can HAVE a relapse but you have to call it breaking your Big Plan. You may not use words the 12 steps use except for the unavoidable ones like addiction, recovery and sober. Doesn't matter when the concept coincides... you have to use their words because AA is WRONG. You don't need a recovery group. What you need is a decision to not use. (uh, duh!) Oh yeah, and then you're going to need a little reinforcement in the form of our books and tapes for only $$$$$$$$$$. Do not be sucked into using the free reinforcement you might find in a 12 step meeting. And you do this all by yourself. Pay no attention to our new message board with over 4000 posts on it. You won't need ANY help with this system. Do not ask us to explain why you need to plunk down big bucks for literature that tells you all you have to do is decide today to be drug free forever and you will be. You aren't addicted. That's your addictive voice talking and IT wants a drink, not you.

I have a feeling Dino's addictive voice would have the rational recovery site for lunch.

Old 04-18-2002, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Roven_Rev

I just saw this... You go girl! Watch... they'll be over here in "pairs" in a minute or two...Hide the credit cards!

O'l Dino... I'm praying... He just has know idea what he has in you... Hope he shapes up soon. Eating lunch alone can be very lonely. Unless you wind up in the soup line!

Old 04-18-2002, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Roven_Rev

I am getting dizzy going from board to baord. I just read your post and Johns reply..over on the other board. Disreguard my earlier post up top. This guy seems to present his beliefs from the heart.

Old 04-18-2002, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So did Hitler.

But seriously... Jon may be very sincere and as I said, I think the concept is pretty neat except for the yellow journalism regarding step groups. I don't have anything against Jonsmith or the addictive voice method. It's the hostility and the obvious fiscal motives of RR that I resent.
Old 04-20-2002, 04:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

I just went to Rational.org...not pretty...well pretty hostile. A real friendly bunch. Co-dependants are just morally weak and stupid people...and this from the founder?? Whatever!

One question tho, why does their board look just like ours? Am I missing something?

Paula
Old 04-20-2002, 05:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, Hey Paula!

Lot's of message boards look like this one. They just shop at the same message board store.

Hugs!
Smoke
Old 04-20-2002, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Smoke

I just had to peek. Went to se what RR was all about and I have only two things to say (pretty brief for me).

1. AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH

and

2. Gee, if I could only find my Visa Card. Maybe I'll go down to the duck pond and see if I left it there. I'm sure some nice duckie will return it to me.

Thanks for getting the word out. Knowledge is power.

Hugs

Ann
Old 04-20-2002, 12:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

And now a friendly message from the founder of RR.....
Old 04-20-2002, 01:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

And now a friendly message from the founder of RR.....

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK VISA QUACK QUACK QUACK $$$QUACK$$$ $$QUACK$$ VISA VISA QUACK
and furthermore QUACK VISA VISA $$$QUACK$$

THANK YOU

[This message has been edited by anns (edited April 20, 2002).]
Old 04-20-2002, 01:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Roven_Rev

Please disreguard my request to disreguard.

For a moment I was dazzeled and haffeled.

Old 04-20-2002, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ann, you little dickens! Whoever would have thought they'd be coming to a recovery board to get their daily chuckle??

The real shame is.... it's such a neat idea. Why do they have to surround it with such negativity? Frankly I'm dying to read the book but I don't want to send those nasty people any money.

Rev, you were the victim of a severe pecking. You cannot be faulted for an initial open reaction to what waddled in.

Smoke
Old 04-20-2002, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

Ya know... I read some of that crazy madness over there on the Alcoholism board...and I just didn't get the point. If their recovery program works... COOL BEANS! If this recovery program works... COOL BEANS!

I have a feeling it's all about business solicitation for their high dollar "free" recovery program. If they're out here soliciting business, perhaps their recovery program isn't as successful as they'd like us to believe.

The heck with them...we've got bigger ducks to fry.

Heels

[This message has been edited by HellOn2Heels (edited April 20, 2002).]
Old 04-27-2002, 05:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

You know I never did go check this out when it was posted. If it upset people, I didn't want to see it. Well, guess what, I was searching for something and came across, Jack Trimpey's Letter to American Inmates; I can say I was appalled. I really didn't care to read any further. One question, was this guy ever an addict? He contradicts himself with a quote "I don't know what I would do if I were in your shoes." But its obvious, he doesn't think people should have a choice. His way or no way.....oh well. Just felt like venting a little.

Take care.
Hugs
Debbie
Old 04-27-2002, 11:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

According to rational.org, HP = Higher Profits, High Price, Heafty Pockets, Heavy Pecking,Hold your Purse, Hand over your...

any other suggestions ?

serenity,

firefly
Old 04-27-2002, 12:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How about Hocus Pocus? Or Horse Pucky?
Old 04-27-2002, 01:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Well if you want to have some fun, go over to the general recovery board and post some duck jokes under ethics. I already set the stage. Go!

Old 04-27-2002, 01:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

Rational Recovery! I was never rational in recovery and I probably will never be rational. RR is that the virus MG was telling us about?

Love, Pickle
Old 04-27-2002, 02:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

ok, well , maybe I shouldn't have been over there, but everyone is taking that Jon Smith guy to seriously. So in between those serious posts, I just had to have a little fun. I'll try to stay over here on my own side of the boards. Slap my hand!

MG