Notices

starting Again

Old 06-24-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy starting Again

Today was day two for me. I had 9 months before last month. And of of course it took me less than a couple weeks to spin out of control again. I'm up late with all these self-defeating thoughts just going round and round in my head. For the second time in a year, my girl of 4 years packed her stuff and was ready to leave me. A big part of me thinks I'll never get my addiction under control. I keep thinking I may be one of the "such unfortunates" that the big book mentions. I've lost so many people I love in my like because of a pill or a drink. Everyone keeps asking what will be different this time and I rly don't know. Sorry to ramble. I just have been feeling very hopeless and I found this app and decided to give it a try. You people are the only ones who rly understand. Thanks for listening and reminding me I'm not alone in this
Old 06-24-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Mc. I'm sorry to hear about your relapse. The good thing is that you're back on the sobriety road again. Do not to beat yourself up over it, but instead focus on what you can do to make it last. What was it that made you relapse? Are you going to AA or anything that provides support? Does your GF drink? What are you going to do different this time?

This is a great place for support and encouragement in committing to your sobriety and know that you're not alone.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR SeanMc

I really believe there's no one beyond hope - if you're prepared to give it all you got, you can make enormous life changes

D
Old 06-25-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I slacked off on meetings before and I know and I stopped praying. This time around I'm not gonna stop talking to God and I'm going to use the support system that I have and the Fellowship of AA
Old 06-25-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've come to a great place for support.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Welcome back.

I haven't been sober long enough yet to relapse, but if I do I know I will feel the same way you do. But remember, you won't be the first alcoholic to relapse and you won't be the last, so try to rid yourself of the self-defeating thoughts. You are back and ready to fight. Good for you!

I have only just started AA, but one thing that is re-iterated is to never stop working the program. Thank you for coming back to SR.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Sean Mc View Post
I just have been feeling very hopeless...
Welcome to Hope Unlimited.

It's all of us against the addiction. Glad you've come back to the fight.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You did the 9 months so you have proven you are capable of leaving the stuff alone. Try to build on that success.

Take a look at some other methods many have used to quit. I use AVRT and there are several others you can use alone or in combination with AA.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I relapsed four months ago and just decided to try again yesterday.

You mentioned hopelessness and self defeating thoughts. I think a great book to read is What to Say When you Talk to Yourself. I think that for many people and especially for us suffering from alcoholism, our inner dialogue gets pretty negative. The more we let that go on the easier it will be to take that drink to feel 'better.'

I noticed someone mentioned AVRT - Addictive Voice Recognition Therapy is a tenant of Rational Recovery. It is one of my favorite ideas! I recommend reading up on it. I have tons of books both about AA and ways to quit outside of AA. It never hurts to have lots of tools available.

However, I am still going to an AA meeting tonight.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm back after a few beautiful months of sobriety, followed by a couple weeks of a few beers and a few weeks of a 5th a day. It happens, If you're back here, then there is hope for you. And hopefully you learned something new and will be better prepared this go around.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I too have not been at it long enough to relapse but I know sooner or later I probaby will and I too will have all those thoughts cuz of course they are always there anyway.

I too hope I can beat them back by realizing that generally every kind of addict will fall off the wagon at some point, I think it is more important as to how fast you can jump back on!

no one is truly hopeless and as has already been said, you kicked it for 9 months!! be proud of that and let it inspire you to know that you can obviously kick it!

much good luck and well wishes for your journey!