Notices

Day 5 newbie

Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 newbie

Hi all -

I'm in my early 50's, have been drinking for a loooong time (drinking age was 18 back then). I did have a period of sobriety for about 7 years starting around 20 years ago. Fell back in love with alcohol at a charming family owned restaurant in central Italy and ... here we are today.

I was married until about 10 yeas ago. I think there were many factors that contributed to the divorce - on both sides. Even without the booze, we grew to be incompatible though. But who knows ... and it's water under the bridge.

Have been drinking too much (by what measure, I don't know) for too long. Too many hangovers, too many blackouts, too many lost nights, too many alcohol fueled arguments with girlfriends, too much money wasted ... the list goes on.

This past weekend wasn't easy - graduation parties all around, neighbors sitting out in the shade on a hot summer evening ... alcohol being the beverage of choice, of course.

I've been dating a wonderful woman for the past 15-16 months who is a lot like me. We loved to drink together. And since we love each other, we have decided to embark on this journey of sobriety together. We are both a little nervous about where it will take us, but at the same time, we both know it's a step we must take. We are both looking forward to clearer heads and a life without the fog of booze.

Take care,

Mark
Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR. Good luck on this journey. It's great you have someone to share it with.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm new here, day 4 for me and I'm feeling great. You shared your story with honesty and positivity which I admire. I'm 38, newly single mummy to 6 wonderful children and although my story is very different to yours, I also am feeling intensely positive about my new, fresh start. Good luck to you and your lady on your journey.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Mark. This is a wonderful place for support, where we all understand how you're feeling.

I was in my 50's too when I finally stopped. What had once been fun and a way to cope had become a necessity. Alcohol made me confrontational & self-destructive. In the end, I was drinking 24/7 & totally dependent on it. I never imagined I could get free of it and not miss it every day - but it happened. I could never go back to that old, sick life. It feels great to be free. Glad you are here!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Good luck and welcome!

I'm lucky in that, while my husband said he's not going to give up alcohol, he's trying to lose weight so he hasn't been drinking. This has made it easier on me.

There is a lot of support here - stick around!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Mark
Old 06-24-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! It's good your gf is supportive of your efforts to live sober. And you'll find lots of support here also.