Notices

One Week in Soberville

Old 06-22-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Week in Soberville

Made it, whew! Week has been great. Busy today, little irritable. Off to a bday party/bonfire. Stressing a little. Thougts on na beer? My hubby will be there for support so I can escape when I need to. For some reason it's making me sad. I WILL make it to day 8!!!
Old 06-22-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like too much too soon as far as party/bonfire thing but that is my personal opinion. Make sure you have a solid exit plan. Don't set yourself up with the na beer...tastes like dirt and it will only trigger you. Have an excuse in your back pocket as to why you are not drinking should you feel like you need an excuse. Bail early if you need to; you have worked too hard for this.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Soberville... Love the word. I personally don't like NA beer. To my tastes it tastes nasty. At parties I like to walk around with a rocks glass with ice/water and a lime. Note: some people think NA beer is a trigger to go back to regular drinking so be careful. Have fun and try enjoy... It just another habit (having fun at a party w/out drinking) that may take a little time. Funny that you mentioned being sad... It is a sort of relationship and a "grieving" period if normal even though it's really a victory party.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Debe5,

Congrats on making it one week! That is HUGE. That first week is tough- it took me forever to get to one week. Keep up the great work!

If it makes you feel more comfortable why don't you and your husband drive separately so that you can leave is it gets too overwhelming? I employed this tactic a few weeks ago at a graduation party. I didn't have the urge to drink, just a lot of anxiety associated with it for some reason.

Congrats again. I used to think that my getting trashed at every social event was how everyone acted. Boy was I wrong! Have fun tonight! Hugs, PG
Old 06-22-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I like 'Soberville' too.

Congrats on your one week Debe. We know what hard work it is. It will get easier as you go along. You're doing great.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Debe5 View Post
Made it, whew! Week has been great. Busy today, little irritable. Off to a bday party/bonfire. Stressing a little. Thougts on na beer? My hubby will be there for support so I can escape when I need to. For some reason it's making me sad. I WILL make it to day 8!!!
I dont think you need to be going to a bonfire party if you are serious about your sobriety and sticking to it. There will be plenty of parties later in life, but going now is playing with fire. I dont get why people put themselves in these positions so early in recovery? Its your call, but I wouldn't suggest going right now. Not so soon.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well back from the party and still sober. Actually wasn't that bad. I didn't make a big deal out of it when someone asked me if I wanted a drink. I just politely said no thanks. I fortunate to not hang out with obnoxious people who would continually push the issue (those are not friends, just misery loves company). My hubby would have left as soon as I gave the word. Also seeing others intoxicated certainly keeps things in perspective. Guess I am officially on day 8, going to be great:-)
Old 06-22-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Debe5 View Post
Well back from the party and still sober. Actually wasn't that bad. I didn't make a big deal out of it when someone asked me if I wanted a drink. I just politely said no thanks. I fortunate to not hang out with obnoxious people who would continually push the issue (those are not friends, just misery loves company). My hubby would have left as soon as I gave the word. Also seeing others intoxicated certainly keeps things in perspective. Guess I am officially on day 8, going to be great:-)

Oh I know what you mean. The first time I went out sober, I couldn't believe how annoying and stupid people are when they are loaded. I know I looked like that many nights, so it was a humbling experience.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your week Debe

I think we have to make a break between old life and new, at least for a while.
If you feel you have to go, nix the NA beer.

Too close to old situations IMO.
D