Notices

Hoping I can do it this time

Old 06-22-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Hoping I can do it this time

Finally admitted to myself today after yet another embarrassing incident involving drink. I know for quite a while that I need to give up. Have tried all the tricks in the book for cutting down but just seem to lose control when I have any. Am well able to hold my drink which probably isn't a good thing. Please god this time I will be successful. Living in a small town and don't really want to go down the AA route. Am already starting to panic about holidays away which I have coming up which is daft I know. Cant even discuss it with my husband even though we have an excellent marriage I am too ashamed that I have left myself get out of control.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nitetaxi View Post
Finally admitted to myself today after yet another embarrassing incident involving drink. I know for quite a while that I need to give up. Have tried all the tricks in the book for cutting down but just seem to lose control when I have any. Am well able to hold my drink which probably isn't a good thing. Please god this time I will be successful. Living in a small town and don't really want to go down the AA route. Am already starting to panic about holidays away which I have coming up which is daft I know. Cant even discuss it with my husband even though we have an excellent marriage I am too ashamed that I have left myself get out of control.
I went down the AA route over 23 yrs ago. It was that or die for me. I'm not ashamed at all.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-22-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry I didn't mean that there is anything wrong with the AA. it is a brilliant organisation and I wish I had the courage to go there but I haven't at the moment. I apologise if I have offended you
Old 06-22-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry I didn't mean that there is anything wrong with the AA. it is a brilliant organisation and I wish I had the courage to go there but I haven't at the moment. I apologise if I have offended you
You didn't offend me. I just couldn't understand why you wouldn't accept the help available in AA. I thought perhaps you were ashamed.

AA for most of us is the last house on the street ... but it turned out to be a Godsend to millions of us.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-22-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i know what you mean. before i quit my job last year i worked for a travel company with a high percentage of heavy drinkers. i'm kind of curious as to how many people i know might be in AA when i get there. but we'll all be there for the same reason.

be well.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

You sound miserable. But you won't go to AA, won't discuss the problem with your husband.

Alcoholism thrives in the dark of secrecy and shame. Time to shine a light on it. Seek out support. Do whatever it takes to beat this.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome this is an amazing place to be you will find nothing but lots of support, help and advice. These forums have been instrumental in me getting sober 8 months ago and i use them daily to keep myself on track. Its great that you recognize that your drinking has become a problem and your reaching out for help. You are being honest with yourself and making a really positive step towards getting sober and healthy by posting on here.

I understand that you say you feel ashamed its common but you shouldn't this is an illness and in order to get better you need to ask for help like everyone else. Being worried about others opinions and feeling too ashamed to ask for help has been the end for many people. I doubt you could say anything on here that people wont have already done themselves or know someone who has. If you can talk to your husband you may find it easier to get help and support and in most cases family members already know about whats going on, he may be waiting for you to ask for support. Have you tried to stop drinking before now?. If you dont feel like you could attend AA meetings because you live in a small town maybe you could look into going to a meeting a little further a field?. If not people have many different methods of support and ways to cope and help them to abstain.

You have definitley come to the right place, there are lots of great people on here who will point you in the right direction and they really know what they are talking about.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nitetaxi

Have tried all the tricks in the book for cutting down but just seem to lose control when I have any.
Yep this was me too. The only thing that worked for me is abstinence.

I hope you'll find SR as helpful to you as I have

D
Old 06-22-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Nitetaxi. It's great to have you here with us.

I was so afraid to see what a sober life would be like. I had no choice but to quit though - I was facing total destruction if I didn't. I thought I'd be losing something, but I was really gaining a whole new way of living. You don't need it the way you've convinced yourself you do. You can have a beautiful new life without it. We are here to support you.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, nitet!,
i worked in a restaurant where drinking and drugs got me into "a ton" of trouble. It got me tossed in jail and, "f"ed up a great relationship. Aa can be a good option. Good luck!!
Old 06-22-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I really feel for you. I have been in your spot. It is clear you want to talk about your drinking problem because you're here. You gotta start somewhere and this is a good place. I hope SR can help you.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to a very supportive place.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Nitetaxi, welcome to Soberrecovery.com, as good a place as any to seek help with addiction problems, and there is little chance of being exposed. Perhaps, figuring out how to talk to your husband about it could be a good thing. He could be your main line or support. Rootin for ya.