Notices

Just a quick question....

Old 06-21-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a quick question....

I was just wondering if anybody could let me know if this is real. I have only been sober one week and I feel like I never EVER want to drink again! I am feeling so much better even after only 7 days of sobriety. I even went to a pool party today where everyone was drinking in the sun and was offered drinks, this sick feeling I cannot explain came over me, I remembered how drinking made me feel (and not in a good way) and that I had promised myself for ME and MY KIDS FUTURE that I would not drink again. It made saying NO really easy. The day even felt like any other in recent memory even without the booze, Except I had no up and down mood all day, I wasn't tired, and I actually will remember the conversations I had with people today. I was wondering if any others had the same experience when they just felt like they were DONE. It just seems so soon to be able to really stick with my plans being around all my old triggers. Although I have stayed away from them as much as possible and will continue to do so. (I didn't know there would be people drinking there today when I initially went). I haven't even listened to any music in a week because I know that makes me want to drink. I know there will be good days and bad days aswell but its been only a week and I don't even feel like drinking whatsoever, is that normal???? Or does the urges take awhile to kick in? ( I hope that doesn't sound stupid). And I defiantly know im an alcoholic and have been for at least 10 years sad to say. Heck maybe I am just so damn happy to be sober!!!
Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Congrats, that is great!

I felt that way a little bit the past two days but today was really rough - I cried for two hours because I wanted a beer so bad and my AV was so strong. It passed eventually, thank goodness. Hope tomorrow I feel like you.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you GEAH!!!! We can do this And hope tomorrow I feel like ME TODAY too :P. Who knows, its just awesome to be sitting here sober tonight! I know u must feel great aswell for letting the craving pass, lets just remember this feeling the next time we are faced with the decision whether or not to pick up that first drink. Good luck to you GEAH
Old 06-21-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Something in me definitely clicked when I decided to quit 52 days ago. I don't want to drink. A few cravings the first month. But also a willingness to just let myself feel bad sometimes instead of drinking to forget my troubles. I've just learned that tomorrow is a new day.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't even question it, enjoy it! I have heard some people say they were suddenly repulsed by alcohol ...wasn't like that for me though. Over times, my cravings disappated.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's how I feel...repulsed by it, exactly! Its wrecked and taken way too many years of my life already!
Old 06-21-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 52 days, thats awesome and sooo exciting!!!
Old 06-21-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

My first time I got any real sobriety under my belt, I floated on that pink cloud too! I had the occasional craving. I'd sorta planned a "party" for myself for 1 month of sobriety. Thank goodness I decided against it. But all in all, I was happy sober and drinking was the last thing I wanted to do. That lasted a good 10 months then I relapsed. No real reason. I simply didn't have anything to fall back on when that pink cloud faded. I'd left AA, stopped working the steps and relied on self will. I stayed out for about 3 months. I didn't drink vodka but I'd gotten hooked on wine.

After finally coming to my senses (after an 18 hour round trip from WI to AL listening to nothing but AA speaker tapes) I got back in the program. This time, I got a real sponsor and am making meetings and working steps. I've had a couple of 1 day relapses but i'm well into my second month now. Now, there isn't a pink cloud really. This time, there's a feeling of realness. I feel solid. If I get squirrelly, i've got a back up in the forms of the steps and the fellowship of AA. SR is part of my fellowship too 'cause I need all the help I can get!

Enjoy the good feelings! Feel them and live in the present. Just don't expect the euphoria of newfound sobriety to carry you the rest of your life. Keep in contact with sober alcoholics. If you haven't checked out AA, I recommend it. Be open to a spiritual change in your life. If it was all up to me, I wouldn't be sober. My Higher Power has kept me sober this time and it speaks to me through other people. I try to live my life in service to others and to my HP. Keep up the good work and enjoy your sober life. Just remember that it's going to be hard work sometimes but you're worth it.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks for great advice DG. I figured that much too about it being a pink cloud as u say I will defiantly take your advice and Thank you
Old 06-21-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by tired28 View Post
I was just wondering if anybody could let me know if this is real. I have only been sober one week and I feel like I never EVER want to drink again! I am feeling so much better even after only 7 days of sobriety. I even went to a pool party today where everyone was drinking in the sun and was offered drinks, this sick feeling I cannot explain came over me, I remembered how drinking made me feel (and not in a good way) and that I had promised myself for ME and MY KIDS FUTURE that I would not drink again. It made saying NO really easy. The day even felt like any other in recent memory even without the booze, Except I had no up and down mood all day, I wasn't tired, and I actually will remember the conversations I had with people today. I was wondering if any others had the same experience when they just felt like they were DONE. It just seems so soon to be able to really stick with my plans being around all my old triggers. Although I have stayed away from them as much as possible and will continue to do so. (I didn't know there would be people drinking there today when I initially went). I haven't even listened to any music in a week because I know that makes me want to drink. I know there will be good days and bad days aswell but its been only a week and I don't even feel like drinking whatsoever, is that normal???? Or does the urges take awhile to kick in? ( I hope that doesn't sound stupid). And I defiantly know im an alcoholic and have been for at least 10 years sad to say. Heck maybe I am just so damn happy to be sober!!!

Its a great feeling, isnt it? Its the euphoria that comes with new sobriety, and as awesome as it is, it wont always feel that wonderful. There will be good and bad days, and some days you think you may have overreacted and maybe didnt even have an alcohol problem. That is trick thinking though, fueled by addiction. Sobriety is way of life, so you will have to change and evolve, and continue to grow. Stay focused, keep your guard up, and always keep learning. I wish you AMAZING luck, and that you get to experience everything sober life can offer, because it is truly wonderful. Congrats!!!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tired28 View Post
I was just wondering if anybody could let me know if this is real. I have only been sober one week and I feel like I never EVER want to drink again!
I call it a true blessing. Good for you! Thank you God.