Notices

Help! Dunno what to do...

Old 06-21-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Help! Dunno what to do...

Okay, both my parents are alcoholics. I am 16 and i dont know how to cope with it all. I have my step-mum to help me, we help each other. My mum is waiting for a place in rehab. My Dad just completed a week home detox, but hes back on the drink. I dunno how im supposed to get through it, i cant support him when he gives up himself. Scared in case my mum does the same after rehab, but she could lose my little brother and sister to social services. I really dunno what to do. How do i get myself, my siblings and both my parents through it without losing anyone along the way? Please help me.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You should not have such responsibilities at your age. You need to be looking out for yourself, not the rest of your family. Have you tried AlAnon meetings? You will find support there from people who understand.

http://www.al-anonuk.org.uk/meetings/

We also have a forum here for friends and family of alcoholics. Take a look and post there also for more insight.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 06-21-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Oh Emily, this is far to big a burden for someone your age to have to carry. I know that social services can seem scary figures, but they really can help. Is it possible for you to talk to someone from there about the situation. I know your fear will be that your family will be torn apart, but that is not their aim.
You cannot control the situation, or force your parents to act like the responsible adults they ought to be. What you can do is be supportive of your siblings, let them know how much they are loved and ask for help and advice from the threads here and al-anon. My heart aches for you sweetheart, you and you little brother and sister have done nothing to deserve this. I wish you well.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Emily I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. It just isn't fair to you. I agree wth the others is there anyone you can talk to about this or anyone you can go to for help?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emily97 View Post
How do i get myself, my siblings and both my parents through it without losing anyone along the way? Please help me.
You may not be able to do that Emily. Is there no other "normal" family members you can talk to? ... an Aunt or Uncle who can help.

I agree with Al-Anon. They will tell you what, and what not, to expect.

Prayers to you, girl. Do what you can but in the end protect yourself and younger children.

Like the Titanic .. if it's going to sink then best to abandon ship.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-21-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey emily ,
Sounds like you're having to deal with a lot and have had to grow up real quick . Sometimes, unfortunately we can't make parents do whats good for them , when alcohol abuse is going on we can't make people change till they are ready .

Sometimes it's good to find a sympathetic teacher to talk to as a problem shared is a problem halved .
We've also got childline in the UK here which is on 0800 1111 or e-mail them , i know you're not a kid but it's for people up to 19 . They have people you can talk to about stuff and will be better infomed than me .

Annyhow sometimes it's good to just get stuff out here on the web . i'm sure everyone at SR will support you as much as we all can .

Look after yourself , M
Old 06-21-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Emily I hope you find the advice and help you need xxx thinking if you and your little brother and sister
Old 06-21-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hugs Emily x Such a horrible situation to be in but it is not your responsibility to make it right. Please make sure you look after yourself. Maybe ask some people over in the friends and family forum too. They might have some good advice x Please stick around and let us know how you're getting on x
Old 06-21-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Emily. I'm glad you reached out for help & I'm so sorry for the predicament you're in. I agree that checking out our Friends & Family Forum may be a good thing. We're glad you're here - I hope you'll continue to post and let us know what's going on.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heathen

There's also an adult children of alcoholics section here too. (Pretty sure you're qualified as an adult in this case). I'm sorry for what you're dealing with.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Emily, I am so very sorry that you're going through this. I hope you continue to post here for support. Do you have a relative or school teacher who you could confide in? This is too much of a burden for you alone.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by emily97 View Post
Okay, both my parents are alcoholics. I am 16 and i dont know how to cope with it all. I have my step-mum to help me, we help each other. My mum is waiting for a place in rehab. My Dad just completed a week home detox, but hes back on the drink. I dunno how im supposed to get through it, i cant support him when he gives up himself. Scared in case my mum does the same after rehab, but she could lose my little brother and sister to social services. I really dunno what to do. How do i get myself, my siblings and both my parents through it without losing anyone along the way? Please help me.
I feel for you, and I honestly have nothing to say that can for sure help you. That being said, in 2 years you can leave and distance yourself from all of this. My parents were addicts too and I know how much anxiety and pain you are dealing with. Its not fair, but you can break free and make your own life in just a little while. Do they hurt you when they are using?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You sound like a very strong person and I admire your honesty. I am glad she( ur step mom) is there to support you.What does she think, it's her hubby ur Dad who began drinking again? U live with Mom or Dad? Ala- non might be helpful if not to just share your feelings and get some support. Praying for you.