Notices

New Here

Old 06-21-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New Here

Hi everyone

I'm new here, also scared and angry with myself. I don't drink every day or crave it in the morning. But i take one drink and the drink takes me. I do stupid things and wake up full of regret and a banging headache. Like today. I'm missing the last day of a training course.

Its only been the last 2-3 years that i've started blacking out. I was always the one who remembered everything, could sober up in a second and always be fine.

I have the greatest girlfriend on the planet, who i want to marry as soon as we can. I simply cant tell her some of the things ive done in alcohol. I think its come to a point where i just have to stop. My sister has had a drinking problem for a long time and my grandfather was a raging alcoholic so its certainly in the family.

I need somewhere i can talk about all of this, I'm pretty lost right now.

Help?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR.

It's good that you've identified the problem before it gets any worse - because if you continue to drink, it WILL get worse.

There are several methods and numerous combinations of methods people are successfully using to stay sober. You can read about them on the various forums here, and see if one of them would be a good fit for you.

Be well on your journey.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi scootch25 and welcome to SR! You have come to the right place! Their is so much support here. I am the same - not a every day drinker but a typical binge drinker. I have one and that's that...wake up the next morning with severe anxiety, fear and guilt! I have no recognition of what even happened the night before. To be honest I am very lucky I have not been arrested or even killed myself for the things I did! I have been 6 days sober and this weekend will be my first weekend in a long time sober! I am looking forward to it! I do not know if this will help you but I have created myself a list of every dumb thing I have done drunk (from what I can remember and what I have been told) and also all the friends and family I have hurt in the process. When I feel the itch I look at this list and the sick and anxiety feeling comes back which stops me from drinking as that feeling I know is a small fraction of what I would be feeling the next day.

My grandad is also an alcoholic therefore I know this binge drinking would turn out to be a everyday thing - I started to also drink during the week and to me I felt I was going in the direction of my grandad. I feel fortunate to realise I have a problem at 25. I am glad you have a great gf, maybe she can be your motivation to stop? You can do this! This is your day 1, next chapter! Start to feel excited about what is ahead of you! :-)
Old 06-21-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks

I cant wait for her to get home, i know the things Ive done drunk would be too much to put on her, its mine to deal with. But I told her I have a stomach bug, not a raging hangover and unbelievable guilt. I really need to cry. HARD.

Its a ****** lonely place to be. I'm starting to realize that at a work thing last night one of the guys was in my hotel room. I'm hurting a lot *down there* I'm in a gay relationship. This is agonizing
Old 06-21-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am also in a gay relationship and I have put my gf through misery! Just try and get through today! Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully you will wake up feeling a tiny bit better. Maybe you should find out what exactly happened last night? Do you Know the guy? Your gf deserves that you be honest if not about last night but then about your drinking, she may be able to help you? You will feel awful today. If you need any support feel free to message me! Maybe we could become support buddies for one another
Old 06-21-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there, I'm knew on here today as well.. My marriage has broken down and I've kinda hit the **** it button, and I'm doing things after drinking or drugging that I really don't wanna doing or thinking about!!
I'm trying to get as much help as possible now cause I know my behaviour can't continue the way it is, something will break!!
as they tomorrow is another day and that is how I'm dealing with things at the moment.. Good luck and take it one day at a time, don't be too hard on yourself, we are all good people but trying to live with the disease of addication & it's bloody hard.
Take care x
Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Scootch25 - you have def come to the right place - I didn't drink in the morning first 2-3 years but you bet I have after that we've all done things when were worse for wear that we deeply regret - I def should have been arrested - keep in touch - things can get better x
Old 06-21-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've come to a good place for support and understanding.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone, I'm really hurting but this feels like a safe place
Old 06-21-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lilly88 that sounds like a great idea, i need something for support and that sounds great.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! This is a great place to get support. You are not alone.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So do i make 21/06/2013 my sober date? i cant keep doing this crap to myself! How do you do it all in the beginning? All my friends drink, my family drinks, I'm in the Wine Trade for gods sake! ironic but true
Old 06-21-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello Scootch and welcome to SR. There are many of us here who understand the misery and anxiety that drinking binges bring.

You are amongst friends and in a safe place. No judgements here.

I'm pleased you found us. I would recommend reading around the various forums. There is so much information here. Ask questions, post when you need to. We will help all we can x
Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scootch25 View Post
Hi everyone

I'm new here, also scared and angry with myself. I don't drink every day or crave it in the morning. But i take one drink and the drink takes me. I do stupid things and wake up full of regret and a banging headache. Like today. I'm missing the last day of a training course.

Its only been the last 2-3 years that i've started blacking out. I was always the one who remembered everything, could sober up in a second and always be fine.

I have the greatest girlfriend on the planet, who i want to marry as soon as we can. I simply cant tell her some of the things ive done in alcohol. I think its come to a point where i just have to stop. My sister has had a drinking problem for a long time and my grandfather was a raging alcoholic so its certainly in the family.

I need somewhere i can talk about all of this, I'm pretty lost right now.

Help?
Hello Scootch25:

Have you attended AA meetings there ?? AA was the only lasting treatment for my alcoholism.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-21-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Scootch. Welcome to SR.

You'll find a lot of support, understanding and useful info here.

There's always someone to talk to and no one judges you. It's really great place.

The earlier you stop this, the better. As it's been said above, drinking tends to progress. Don't let it happen.

Life is so much better sober.

Make a plan, choose the program that will work for you, take one day at a time.

Best luck to you.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ive never been to a meeting but i think it might have to happen now
Both of my parents went to a friends and family meeting a few years ago and hated it, so i think i wrote it off. But ill see whats near me anyway
Old 06-21-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ive never been to a meeting but i think it might have to happen now
Both of my parents went to a friends and family meeting a few years ago and hated it, so i think i wrote it off. But ill see whats near me anyway
AA is the very last thing an alcoholic wants to do ... the last house on the street.

But it will save your life.

I only had 2 fears about AA ...1) It wouldn't work. 2) It would work.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ive just been reading about the Addictive Voice thing too, can anyone explain it for me?
Old 06-21-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Scootch! I'm not real familiar with AVRT - I'm sure others will be.

I'm glad you reached out for some help. This is a great place for support and understanding. We all remember what it feels like to have alcohol running the show. Glad you are taking action.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ive just been reading about the Addictive Voice thing too, can anyone explain it for me?
This concept was the game/life changer for me. I'd try and explain it but so many others have done terrifically with it. Try starting here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...iscussion.html

The basics are that you don't want to drink anymore. And you know this, otherwise you wouldn't be here. However there is an Addictive Voice that tells you you want to drink (in fact it often speaks to you as if it is an other "You really could use some wine tonight, look at all the work you had to suffer through today..." etc). The AV is there because you have something in you that has developed an addiction - a deep, deep desire to get f#cked up that your rational, sane, true self doesn't want anymore. And so you have a Beast inside, wanting to get fed.

Truth is the best thing is to get a read Rational Recovery.

Best of luck, stay strong. Life is worth it.