Notices

Leaving Las Vegas

Old 06-21-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Leaving Las Vegas

Anyone seen the film with nick cage and elisabeth shue? I watched it years ago, and thinking about it now scares me. It is a pretty accurate portrayal of alcoholism. The title is Leaving Las Vegas.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah, I saw that one, was a teenager at the time and I recorded it and watched it over and over, it was as if I knew in some way then that the character was 'like me'. Its a frightening portrayal of where the alcohol takes us if we carry on. I wish I had seen the film as a warning and changed my ways back then, but can't change my past now, only my present.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep came out in 1995 when I got sober and scared the crap out of me. The scariest part was that I totally related and looked at it as a viable solution. Fortunately did not make that choice and I am still sober today.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Yep, I loved it. I just watched the trailer yesterday on youtube, matter of fact! Thinking of watching the movie again.

Not sure if you watch Intervention, but another story of alcoholism is stuck in my mind. A guy who was in his 30s and so far gone into this disease by the time the show filmed that he died at the end of the program. It broke my heart and I will never forget him or his struggles.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't forget that the character made a very deliberate choice to drink himself to death. Personally, I think that I will steer clear of stories of futility for now.