OT: when we are not at our best

Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: when we are not at our best

right now, i'm struggling. i'm so tired...not to whine, but it's middle age lady stuff. my sleep is sh*t, my energy level has diminished to just this side of non-existent. I can see around the house what I don't do much these days...little things, like pairing up and folding hank's socks, or his underwear, most times it's left in neat piles on the dresser. i'm not cooking dinner much these days, hank pretty much takes the lead and I help, run the assist. this morning it took me til 10am to talk myself up, showered, dressed and out the door for work.

I am in what seems to be the third week of a building pms - while the time between cycles gets longer, the pms thing also gets longer. I don't recall reading anything about this??? I am NOT myself. not who I want to be. not who I think I am. but left to my druthers, I could stay curled up on the couch or in the bed trying desperately to get enough rest.

knowing this I have to work harder each day to do what needs to be done. to take care of the house, the finances, the JOB. my assistant, when I had one, retired two years ago...I hadn't realized it had been THAT long. I have no help. but they need me. so I must go. even if it takes me hours to get there. i'm not letting the real important stuff slide, but I just don't think they get how hard it is for me right now. but what am I going to say?

the other night hank said, do you just not want to sleep with me anymore? as i spend most nights on the couch. he has been so good, he sees these changes in me...he can see how my body has changed, how there's all this OOK between my bra line and my hips. there have been so many nights that by the time dinner is ready, i'm just done. and I just don't care about food.

I have an appt. scheduled with a naturopath who specializes in this mess I have become. july 2. as I filled out the 17 page health history, one of the questions was...do you wake up rested and refreshed? my reply was "I would give my right arm to wake up rested and refreshed!"

when I entered my time today for the month, at work, I noticed I have over 400 hours of vacation stored up. right before my assistant, and only other admin person in our group of TWO retired, I was considering taking a sabbatical. but then I couldn't. we now have enough funding to look for a part time position, shared with another project. there MAY be at some point the chance for me to take some time off and know that my group still has support.

I try not to take it out on hank. he knows I am not myself. but he "misses" me...it's more like i'm sending postcards than being a vibrant partner right now. I try. I have good days. a few Fridays ago my daughter and I went to dinner and the ballet and I made it thru just fine, even tho I had to drive her home and didn't get myself home til 11pm or so. i'm not usually UP til 11pm, I have by then fallen asleep and have then reawakened. and then spend the rest of the night hoping to fall back asleep.

i'm just so tired. and this is when I have to dig deep. suck it up. force myself to do that which I just don't have the energy TO do. or even the desire, much. I wish I had a week to just.....rest. but I wonder if that would even help. it isn't the easy times when we show who we are, it is in the tough times, the challenges, whatever they may be. I will get thru this. i remember the game with the Michael Jordan Bulls against the Jazz, and MJ had the flu and scored 38 points. he had to get IV fluids at half time, completely exhausted, but when it was Game Time, he gave the best he had. he was so spent that Scotty Pippen had to hold him up to get him off the court. Michael Jordan Flu Game | Michael Jordan Pictures tHAT is what i aspire to be....my best when i'm not my best.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My co-worker is 51, and she's noticed that the pms-phase seems to last longer as well....but it causes her to kinda 'go off' on people a LOT more and with a lot LESS provocation, lol. She keeps saying to me, "I don't know what is wrong with me. I told so and so off and didn't even think twice about it, and that's just not like me!!" Ugh....I think we women have seriously gotten the short end of the stick with this hormonal crap - from start to finish, it just sucks all around!! I hope that the naturopath is able to give you some relief, and I really hope that you are able to schedule some much-needed time off soon, Anvil. Hoping you feel much better soon - keep us posted!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Have you had any blood work done yet?
Old 06-21-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you are stuggling with this. It's very difficult.

A couple of things I can suggest through my own experience

Drink lots of water.

Take up a gentle yoga practice, something light that you can do before you go to bed and in the morning before you get going. About 10m mins.

No coffee or other zippy drinks after 1 pm if you indulge.

Something relaxing on your mp3, to listen too if you can't sleep, stay in bed, pop in the buds and try to distract, I used books on tape also.

Deep breathing. Eat healthy whole foods.

If you can take some time off off work, extended if you can, do it Anvil, it will give you some much needed time to regroup and take care of yourself.

Have Hank give you some massage, legs, feet, back.

Develope some compassion for yourself sweets, these changes are very difficult to deal with, it's important that you take care of yourself as you would anyone else.

Take good care, Katie xo
Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks all. regarding bloodwork, most recently a couple years and so insanely NORMAL it's more like a medical text book. had them run thyroid levels as well, and again..if the range is 1-3, i'm the 2, like smack in the middle of whatever the range is. part of the appt. with the naturopath (who is also an MD) will be to do bloodwork again. if anything that is even more frustrating when on paper I appear to be healthy as a horse.

if I take the time and THINK about my work life right now there IS a lot of stress..i guess I've been doing it so long it almost doesn't register. we have a new faculty member coming on board sept 1, tranisferring from the east coast. however before he gets here he's been asked to submit a subaward application TO his current institution from ours for a grant proposal. that's kinda tricky to put together an app and get it thru review and sign off for someone who isn't actually on staff yet.

lot of email exchanges. Outlook email at work is all wonky and it keeps throwing his reply emails into my junk folder, along with other random work related emails, so I have to glean thru my junk folder on a regular basis to make sure i'm not missing anything critical.

another of our faculty will be moving to a different division also sept 1 and we will need HER office for the new guy. keyword "we" meaning me. she's hardly ever in the office so I've taken to babysitting her poor neglected plants. poor things. when our now former division director moved out of the BIG office space he moved his ficus (?) plant/tree to an open hallway area, but nobody seems to be in charge of watering it, so it was dropping leaves right and left. so I brought in some planting soil, broke loose some of the soil in the planter, adding new stuff, trimmed a bunch dead stuff, and give it frequent doses of WATER (also tended Mary's plants while I was at it) and the thing is now just taking off!

got news that the NEW division director has dibsed one of our interior offices that is currently a drop in space for yet another faculty person, so we have to get her moved to another small office. went in there yesterday and the big 3 drawer lateral is chock full of old study files, which WE will need to figure out what to do with and get moved somewhere else.

trying to get two of our grants set up active without award (their budget year begins in june) plus we just got good news that another project was finally approved for a no cost extension, which is awesome cuz there was still a big chunk of change left on the table and now we can put those funds to good use and finish the research. yet another subaward to get activated with the prime institute being in the UK. just got a resub on yet another proposal going thru sign off yesterday.

it's now time for monthly procard reconciliations. everybody gives me their receipts in various methods, if they remembered to get them at all. the ones from my boss are usually a crumpled little ball found in his wallet or backpack or suitcase, and it's more like forensic science!!!

never a dull moment for sure!
Old 06-21-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, you really do have a LOT going on right now!! I agree with Katie - you definitely need to schedule some time off as soon as possible to just take care of you and do for YOU. Otherwise, you're going to burn yourself out!!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Work stress will wear you right out, especially when there is no sight of the end. I am exhausted in tax season but can count down the days to part time and my normal speed. And I like my boss and co-workers, so the job stress is mostly volume.

Menopause/pre-menopause/hormone changes...will bring you to your emotional knees and physically cook and freeze dry you at the same time. It's like when you began all this stuff in your teens and were told "this is the wonderful part of becoming a woman". Liars!! Menopause is like the grand finale of hormonal fireworks. Cut yourself a break, it stinks.

Check with your doctor and if you don't have a history of breast cancer, then beg, scream, throw yourself on the floor and insist on hormone replacement therapy. Key part is see your doctor. I tried all the natural methods, Black Cohosh, devils claw, primrose oil...ppffffttttt, chocolate helped more.

Here's the zinger, *snork*, what would YOU tell someone who was going through this...in your best Anvil voice, lol.

I'll bet it would go something like...

"Make yourself clear at work and take time off. Let them figure out how to live without you for a few days! Just do it."

and

"Go to the doctor and get yourself checked. No excuses, your health comes first".

Kidding aside, I am sending big hugs because you really need someone with steel toed bunny slippers to nudge you on.

Hugs and Hugs
Old 06-21-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As for the lady stuff...... Remifemin - which can be bought as a natural supplement at the drug store and flaxseed really, really helped me. The pharmacist even recommended it. It took time to start working but it was amazing. Sorry you are struggling with all of this but talk to your dr and hang in there.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. I can't imagine your work load or the stress you're experiencing. But I have been going through "premenopausal" stuff for a few years. These days I get so many hot flashes I want to crawl into a freezer. Lol the only thing I've noticed helps is drinking lots of water...like 70oz a day. The more intense symptoms have abated since I started doing that.

I also noticed you saying you have have trouble sleeping, no desire to do anything, and just want to curl up in bed bed and you're always exausted. That rang a few bells. You have all the symptoms of depression. Even if you have no history of it, something like menopause, or extreme stress could bring it on. If it's something a pill could improve I would seriously look into it.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dear Anvil, I am officially in menopause at 48 BUT I was in pre-menopause since 36. All I can tell you is, it is horrible dealing with the mood swings, weight gain, depression and lack of desire. When I was about 41, I felt that severe depression (always sad, cryting, etc). I went to the Gyno and she stated the best she could do was put me on anti depressants. Not something I wanted to deal with, so I had to suffer through a six month mood swing mandness. Now I am finding that when I maintain a healthy diet and exercise more, I feel much better. I still get hot flashes and night sweats OOOWWWW which to me are the worst symptom. The sleeplessness can be so exhausting as well. I don't do hormone therapy, but those I know who do swear by it. I hope you start feeling more of yourself soon, we all understand believe me
Old 06-21-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Please get blood work done a complete CBC

That way the doctor can see what vitamins and minerals you are 'low' or lacking which can happen when you are not eating well.

Especially have all the B's and especially the B12 checked!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 06-22-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks again to all for sharing, especially on a rather delicate subject! yesterday wasn't a bad day at all, can't really claim PEP but I did just fine all in all. about 7 last nite I started to fizzle....and by 8pm crawled into the bed. just done. hank came in later, snuggled up, tossed an arm over me and said...WOW, you are roasting hot! geezus baby. didn't take long before I grabbed the pillow to head to the couch, too many bodies, too much EXTRA heat.

can't say it was fabulous night of sleep....but it must have been enough cuz i'm up and puttering around this morning. knocked out some dishes, laundry, you know the drill. me and the fly lady purple rag got busy too. hank took the dogs to go help a buddy do something, and the QUIET is almost palpable!!!

finally went yesterday and got my "li-berry" card activated and stumbled my way thru getting the app set up on my phone (instructions? I don't need no stinkin' instructions!) and downloaded a book, cuz I already devoured my monthly audible book! but it's so nice and all i'm not ready to settle in for a listen yet. at about 2 or so this morning, I had to work out in my mind whether today truly was Saturday or not. I didn't think I had one more WEEK day in me! if it really IS like Thursday, please don't tell me. i'll just cry! LOL
Old 06-22-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am hypothyroid and your symptoms sound like mine when I got diagnosed... I am not yet Pre-menopausal... My levels were at a 36 when I was diagnosed... Now I am down to a .75, which feels great.. Good range is 1-5, But even when I am at a 2 or a 3 I have symptoms... When I was diagnosed I felt like I was walking through sand every day.. so tired and I retained so much water.. thought I was having problems with my heart it was so bad..I hope you get well soon..
Old 06-23-2013, 12:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know it's stupid to say..........but I wish we could help
you as much as your kind and wise words have helped us.

(I warned you it was stupid----so if you kept reading----
then you have to take some codependent responsibility for
that!)

<<<<< if that didn't put a teensy weensy smile on your face then
you are one tough anvil ! Most people manage a pity smirk
'cuz I try so hard! >>>>>>>
Old 06-23-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

oh vale, that was very sweet.

yesterday (which indeed WAS Saturday!!!) was a real good day for me. after hank's mission he came back with jimmy johns, which we devoured. at which time his buddy came by....I took my cue, grabbed my phone and ear buds and headed to the bed! while exceedingly disappointed with the maeve binchy novel, the narrator had an irish brogue and I fell out for 2.5 hrs!!!! the boys were just starting to wonder if I would ever resurface. hank knew better than to open the door to check on me. OMG was that marvelous!

we did our first "turn" on the rotisserie for the grill.....spice rubbed whole chicken with garlic cloves and lemon in the cavities - seasoned, trussed and mounted on the spit by yours truly!!! hank had set in a salt/sugar brine earlier. hank also picked up a medley of fingerling potatoes, which I rinsed, tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, par cooked in the microwave, and then you put them right in the drip pan under the chicken when there was about 45 minutes to go.

to absolutely friggin die for, I tell ya! only thing we would have done different was to leave the chicken on the spit maybe another 10-15 minutes just to crisp up the skin a bit more. the delicate infusion of lemon was heavenly. SIGH, gasp, ooo, ah.

....and I was done before dark. I feel like cicada sometimes! she's up, she's out, she's moving and there she goes again.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

(I told you the E330 kicks a**!)

I've tried everything from Hibachi joke grills to 'big stainless'.....but this'll be my
last.

Friendly word of warning. Food descriptions like that can have unintended consequences.
Ask Ann about the fork and paper plate blizzard of 2012----ostentatious displays of food
abundance on the internet can go unpredictably viral. Unconfirmed rumors suggest that
Ann's refrigerator door was found off it's hinges and halfway up the street!

You may be forgiven your 'to die for' comment---but food fantasization fantasies are
no joke! Combining the super moon and those goddamned noisy cicada's (of which there
are NONE in California --thank God!---).......and you have the makings of a disaster of
Biblical proportions! Bill Murray's own words in "Ghostbusters"!!

Ghostbusters Mass Hysteria - YouTube

Don't forget the first rule of good things:

1) if you've got a good thing going.....keep your mouth shut.

...enjoy the E330.....don't forget anything on that sear burner or it'll be
charcoal in no time.....don't ask!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

Ough! you have my sympathy. I went through all the symptoms you describe and what hit me the hardest was the constant lack of sleep.

I took some hormone pills initially but they made me feel worse, so I decided to just go through it. Five years later, I am feeling much better. Not to put you off lol. It is not an easy time and the best advice I can give you is to be kind to yourself. The extreme tiredness lasted for about two years. What helps me a lot with energy is to have a raw fruit and veggie smoothie every morning.

I gave up caffeine a while ago and after a week, I finally started sleeping. I had a good sleep, night after night. I then did the typical addict thing and started having one cup a day. Even at that low level, I can't sleep yet again. I suspect during menopause caffeine affects one much worse than before. I am giving caffeine up totally again starting today.

It really does get better. Your body is reacting to the sudden change in hormone level. If you do hormone replacement therapy, you either need to stay on it for life or accept the fact that whenever you stop, your body will have the same reaction to lack of certain hormones and the symptoms will return.

Having said that, I have many friends who have gone the HRT way and are doing very well.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This is me! lol
Attached Images
Old 06-24-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

....I count 4 weapons (pickaxes), and 2 night guidance systems (lamps).

(and the call signs are not too encouraging, either!)

Old 06-24-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

you have been warned.