Notices

I'm new here

Old 06-20-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new here

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, new to trying this out as a tool towards sobriety, and just seeing if this is the right place for me. I hope so. I really want this to work. I've never tried any resources except just to quit and that hasn't worked for me. I don't know how to categorize myself as I drink about 3-5 beers a day. I have to kids. One of which is an infant. Trying to do this for them as much as myself. I want to get out from under the oppression of feeling the need to drink. Look forward to talking to people who I know can help me. Thank you.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!!! You will find lots if support here. Feel free to post as often as you like. There is always someone here. I have a little girl...6 1/2 years old.

Wishing you the best! I am sober 51 days now, and this forum has helped quite a bit.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! The only advice I would give (and please bear in mind I'm not particularly qualified...) is not to worry too much about how to categorize yourself. If you think that your drinking is a problem, and if you'd like to do something about it, then that's all you need to know. Labels don't really matter in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you! How do you use this forum? Do you post when you want to drink? Do you share stories? As you can tell I'm very new to this. I think I have finally accepted that I may just be one of those people that have to cut alcohol out completely out of my life. I don't know why I'm one of the people that can't control it. Everything else I've been able to achieve, but this is different and I don't know why.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome OTH. This is a great place for support.

I was stuck with that feeling of wanting to and needing to drink for many years. I am fairly new, close to three months sober. I go to AA and work the 12 step program.

There is a lot of information here. I hope you find a sobriety plan that works for you!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome OTH, and congrats for making the decision to better your life. It's great that you want to make a better life for your kids, that was one of the main factors for me as well. I'd also agree that it's not important to classify yourself or even quantify the amount you drank/drink. Getting better is the main focus an that's what SR is all about. Read lots and ask lots of questions, there's not much that can surprise the collective around here!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Overthehorizon View Post
Thank you! How do you use this forum? Do you post when you want to drink? Do you share stories? As you can tell I'm very new to this. I think I have finally accepted that I may just be one of those people that have to cut alcohol out completely out of my life. I don't know why I'm one of the people that can't control it. Everything else I've been able to achieve, but this is different and I don't know why.
You do whatever you want. Post as often as and as many subjects as you want information about. You can share your story if you wish. You can create new threads or post in others if you want.

I can't control it either. The first drink gets me drunk. Always has. I am an alcoholic and abstaining is my only option to live a happy life.