Notices

AVRT Big Plan

Old 06-19-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AVRT Big Plan

I found some really interesting posts on here about AVRT, and really like the concepts.

I've committed to never drinking again, and have begun to actively identify the addictive voice.

I just ordered Rational Recovery and The Small Book from Amazon...

I guess my question for people who have used AVRT is this: Is there any sort of defined program? I know there are no meetings or steps... Maybe there will be more info in the books.

The AVRT method just seems to make a lot of sense to me. Anyone use it in conjunction w/ AA meetings? It seems the two are at odds in many ways, but the lack of support with AVRT seems daunting.

Either way, I'm on day 5.

Never again.

-Pat
Old 06-19-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

RobbyRobot is using a mix of AVRT and AA, and he's been sober a long time.

Lots of stuff on AVRT in the secular connections forum.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html
is a popular post for explaining the method.

Best of luck!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Pat...how you doing today?

Big time congratulations on Day 5!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AVRT and AA work well together but do not pay attenion to the AA rants
Old 06-20-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 6 complete! Thanks for asking.

AVRT concepts are really helping. I'm looking forward to reading the books and will likely try my first AA meeting next week.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pat S View Post
I found some really interesting posts on here about AVRT, and really like the concepts.

I've committed to never drinking again, and have begun to actively identify the addictive voice.

I just ordered Rational Recovery and The Small Book from Amazon...

I guess my question for people who have used AVRT is this: Is there any sort of defined program? I know there are no meetings or steps... Maybe there will be more info in the books.

The AVRT method just seems to make a lot of sense to me. Anyone use it in conjunction w/ AA meetings? It seems the two are at odds in many ways, but the lack of support with AVRT seems daunting.

Either way, I'm on day 5.

Never again.

-Pat
Hey Pat, that's terrific, good luck with both.

I for one am a person who struggled in and out of AA for many years. I identify myself as the problem - at least in that I came to know, knew from the beginning really, that AA wasn't for me. I didn't want to have to go to meetings for the rest of my life (though I did do 90 in 90 and fell off the wagon some months later).

AVRT is scary but the book is amazing and if it is right for you, you will know.

In terms of support, there is this site that I found last week and there are so many great old/new posts on AVRT. The other thing about AVRT is that going to meetings etc is, in a sense, allowing your AV to have a voice. This is certainly one of the more controversial aspects of the program. But it is one I buy into as well.

There was a great line from an old member who no longer posts - "I don't celebrate anniversaries, I don't collect chips...doing so would be like celebrating the fact it'd been a year since I hit myself in the face with a hammer." Ha, I love that.

To get even more sure of my BP I actually respond to my AV/Beast now by saying not "I will never drink" but in fact "Listen you two a**holes, I don't drink. Period."

Best of luck, be in touch.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great input.

I'm actually struggling today.

My AV seems to be trying to talk me into the fact that I may have never had a problem. That I'm able to drink socially... Blah, blah, blah.

I just need to remember that it doesn't matter. That that's the AV talking, and that my rational mind decided not to drink for a reason.

Anything outside of that is not me, but the AV.

But it's hard. The AV is just as smart as I am, and will tell me anything to get its fix.

Suggestions?

Pat
Old 06-21-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hi Pat, I combine AVRT and AA and for me, they cover each other's shortcomings. There are things I am not completely comfortable with AA that AVRT addresses and there are things that AVRT does not address that I find in AA.
I have been sober 5 months and so far so good.

Just do not fight it, realize that it's the AV talking not you and that it will go away. One thing I found useful for myself (but remember I work an hybrid program not pure AVRT) is to write down the AV nonsense and my own rebuttal.
Example a little while ago my legs were really hurting and AV kept telling me that a drink would take the pain away. My written rebuttal was:well, if my legs hurt too much to go to a meeting they are certainly hurting too much to walk to the convenience store.
Other example:
AV: you never hurt anyone when you drank and no one knew. No one will know.
Me: Who do you think I am, I am someone and I will know.
I am lucky though because it's very rare when the AV bug me.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Pat:

Please Google and read "AA's HOW IT WORKS". If your plans don't work out AA might just be for you.

Some folks go outside of AA for info and help. I read everything I can get and bring it into the 12 Steps.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-21-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Pat S View Post
The AV is just as smart as I am, and will tell me anything to get its fix.
You just have to remember that it's a liar. You can't trust anything it says. You have to hear it, but you don't have to listen to it.

Best of luck!