Notices

Just arrived..

Old 06-18-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just arrived..

Hey people,
I've just joined the site as as reading a few of the threads it seems to be more useful than most things at my disposal.
I've only been able to drink legally within my country coming upto 2 years but was a casual drinker prior to this at young ages and steadily increasingly continued until I reached age, at this point I found myself increasing moreso as it became easy to bar the funding. Since then I've joined university in doing computer science and given many cheap student drink nights and loaned funds ready at hand it became easier more so than before to drink daily without any days for rest. I suppose university made it very easy to drink and have a "reason" too - it became too easy to say "Well other people are drinking", ontop of this in the computing field I find my ability in programming is not worsened by drinking and so I was able to continue drinking despite working and even doing exams hungover, though lectures were missed due to the infamous "Night before".

I suppose I dont really know why I'm even writing this, other than I know now that im not happy with how the situation is and I know I need to stop or regain control before im hurt whether it be health damage or social damage with friends and family/

Hello to all on the forums by the way
Dan
Old 06-18-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Dan. We're glad you joined us, & I hope you find the support you're looking for.

Not being happy with your situation is enough of a reason to join. It's good you're concerned about the way things are going and are looking for answers/suggestions. We want to help.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Dan!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Dan,
I'm a CS grad, too. I didn't booze it in school, but definitely did in my career. I had to stop because, for one, it trashed my marriage, and two, it was trashing my work. All the joy was getting sucked out of it and that totally sucks because I can't imagine a better job than slinging code. It's a sad thing, too, to not be able to keep up with your friends and colleagues because your neurons are disintegrating. The most excellent thing, though, is that after I stopped drinking, hey presto, it all came back. Sounds like you are just getting started and aren't yet feeling the wicked effects. Just wanted to let you know that it could really put a hurting on what you want to do. All the best to you in your recovery, life, and career.
Cheers,
cascademn
Old 06-18-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Dan

I found that even tho I was around heavy drinkers I still was unhappy with my drinking, and especially what it did to me.

If you think it's a problem, it's a problem.

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! I'm glad you joined us.