Learning to appreciate

Old 05-18-2004, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gracie1953

Learning to appreciate

I didn't start going to Al Anon meetings until I was 42 years old. I didn't know I had a problem although for most of my life I have felt different and for some reason always on the outside looking in at other people being happy and really living their lives.

I went to Al Anon on the advice of the A I had started seeing. I actually ran into one of his 4 ex-wives at a meeting. It was at that point that I realized what growing up with an abusive alcoholic father had done to me and to my siblings. I was surprised and horrified at the same time to hear other people telling my story.

I went to meetings for over a year and then stopped because I was turned off by the religious overtones and by listening to the same stories week after week without getting any real practical advice.

So, here I am today, not exactly stuck, but not exactly moving forward either. I find that when I "stop to smell the roses" so to speak that all I think about is what I have missed instead of enjoying what I have. Of course the last 2.5 years I haven't had much. I lost my last full time job around 9/11 and haven't been able to get a regular full time job since. So much for the economic recovery. I have gone to bed hungry because I could not afford food. I have gone to bed cold because I could not afford to pay the gas bill. Thank goodness for my landlord who is a decent, kind man and offered to "work with me" if it came to not being able to pay the rent. I was inches from living in my car.

I'm much better off at the moment, but that could end at any time. My contract could be cancelled and I could find myself out on the street at a moment's notice. I'm tired of living on the edge all of the time. It's not an easy thing to put out of one's mind even for a short period of time.

Just for a while, I would like to not have to worry. Even when I play golf which is one of the few ways I escape, I look at the blue sky, the fluffy clouds, feel the warm breeze and wish it could last forever. But I know it won't. There is a saying that you can't appreciate what you have never had.

What I want to know is how do I get it, whatever that is?

Thanks,

Gracie

Old 05-18-2004, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Gracie,
I'm sorry that things are so difficult for you right now. I will keep you in my prayers and hope that better days are just around the corner for you.
As for getting "it", I have to ask for that...every day. And then stay on the lookout for clues as I go through my day.
Hugs,
Gabe
Old 05-18-2004, 12:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

For me the "it" was finally surrendering my way and working the steps. Going to meetings is part of the process, but that didn't get the "it" I was searching for. I went further, got a sponsor that I could relate to, and who had a good knowledge of the steps, and began. I have never felt as whole as I have since I made that decision. I know about looking in from the outside, and I am no longer there. I don't know why I never was able before to grasp "it". Why do we have to hurt so bad to try something new? I am hard headed :banghead: but sometimes something gets through to me. Hugs, Magic
Old 05-18-2004, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Magic,
I am extremely hard-headed. :banghead:
No wonder you and I get along so famously.
Tag, you're it!
Gabe
Old 05-19-2004, 05:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

((((((Gabe)))))) You make me smile before coffee. Not many can do that. Hugs, Magic