Notices

Does going to detox go on your medical records?

Old 06-18-2013, 12:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does going to detox go on your medical records?

I assume it does. It seems like there could be some negative consequences of that. I'm weighing the pros and cons. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 12:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In the USA, medical records are private. You can't look them up like you could look up a credit score. It takes a court order to unseal them.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I am not too sure how it works in the US, I live in Canada.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Medical Records are also confidential here in Australia.

An organisation generally needs an individual's consent before they can collect their health information.

You ever have to jump through hoops to gain access to your own info here.

I'd check out what the situation is in your country mirage.
D
Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The HIPAA law prevents anyone other than you from accessing your medical records. This includes all relatives including a spouse and any and all employers.

The only way someone can get his information is if you allow it which in most cases requires a written release.

Children and spouses may have regular access to this information if a power of attorney was set up at some point because the person receiving the medical care is unable to manage their own medical care such as with the elderly or a child, that is no longer a minor, with a physical or mental handicap. A nurse or caretaker can also have access to this information as they are considered a medical professional.

Mulitple medical professionals (nurses/doctors) can access your information in a hospital or a treatment center since they are all involved in your medical care.

Most doctors outside a hospital/clinic/treatment center do not transfer information. i.e if you see doctor A and then go to doctor B, doctor A does not send over your medical information to doctor B. The information can be requested but again something needs signed stating you allow the transfer of medical records.

At this point, unlike years ago, if someone goes to the hospital either willingly or in the case of an emergency the release of information that you are even in that hospital is not allowed by the HIPAA law.

So if someone goes to detox then there are medical records created. The only people that have access to this information other than you are the insurance company (they cannot release this information, the doctors or nurses (they cannot release this information), a pharmacy if medication is used (they cannot release this information). The doctor, nurse, pharmacy and insurance can talk to each other about your case but not to outside entities that are not involved in your medical care.

So even if you are in detox and your mother, father, sister, aunt, Joe Blow calls and asks if you are there, they are not allowed to confirm that unless you have signed a waiver that allows them to share that information and to whom you allow it to be shared with.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Gracie, great info, thanks.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just wanted to second GracieLou's info--I have worked as a medical transcriptionist for years and everything she says is totally accurate. There is no need to delay or avoid treatment for ANY condition b/c of fear that employers, friends, even family members will find out if you don't want them to.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You're right, Honeypig. Will definitely keep that in mind, thanks!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

As many have posted, your medical records are completely confidential in the US.

Having said that, I look at this issue a little differently than some. If you are addicted to a substance to the point that you require medical detox, most likely people already know that you are a drunk/drug abuser. Would you rather be known as a drunk or a recovered/recovering alcoholic?

The other scenario is that your medical records don't mean much to anyone if you are dead. And dying from untreated drug/alcohol abuse is a possible outcome.

Bottom line- if you need treatment, seek it.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd also like to add to Gracie's concise explanation that sometimes ER's in the state of California will ask you sign a waiver stating they are allowed to contact your employer in cases of workmen's compensation.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What about hospital or clinic administrators such as admission clerks, billing clerks, etc. Are they allowed to view a patients medical records? I ask this because I know someone who works in this area and I would not want them to view my records. I live is the USA.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

if you think you need to go to detox please dont worry about that stuff.
You life could depend on detoxing safely
Old 06-24-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for this informative post!!