Quit my job

Old 06-17-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit my job

I have been at my current job for only 6 months, but I gave my notice the other day.

My boss's expectations are unrealistic and were more than I could meet. I am divorced from an A who does not live in my town (thank God!) and I have 3 children: 12, 10 and 5, and to meet his expectations, I was away from the children from 7:15 to 5:45 or 6 p.m.

I'm a trial lawyer for a government agency. I have won 4 trials in the months I have been here, and when I left 30 minutes early on the day I won the last trial - after being in court from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. the day before, my boss had a fit because he needed me to do something for him.

He also did not pay me for 2 sick days because you have to be with the state for 6 months to earn sick pay. But I was expected to work nights, weekends and keep a rigid schedule of far greater than 40 hours.

My kids were suffering, I was a basket case, and I gave notice. I do not have something else lined up. I am going to work through July in order not to leave the office in a bind, but then I am gone.

I can no longer tolerate capriciousness, hotheadedness or abuse. I just can't.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm so glad you decided to take care of yourself and realize when your work boundaries had been crossed! Please take care of yourself and your precious little ones!

Hopefully, another opportunity will turn up very soon.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you, hydro. That's a very clear statement of what had happened. The perk of being paid so little was supposed to be having a life with my family, and that absolutely wasn't happening.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, THAT sucks. I've been a government lawyer my entire career, and thank God I never had a boss with that kind of attitude.

Trial work can be grueling, but when you aren't on trial there should definitely be flexibility. I hope you can find something more suitable soon. I retired a year and a half ago (and got my absolute dream job post-retirement), but until I had that lined up I was considering doing "pool" appellate work that I could do from my home. Have you looked into anything like that? I have some friends who did that when their kids were young--they weren't the sole support, and there are no benefits that go along with it, but it might tide you over while you are looking.

I don't blame you for feeling abused in that job. Hope you find something better soon.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry an unreasonable boss drive a qualified, successful professional out of state service. But I'm really, really happy for you. Because nobody needs to live like that.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are the Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla!!! Way to go! I love "Take This Job and Shove It" stories!!!

C-
Old 06-18-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you! No job is worth being abused and being miserable... Of course I say that as someone who is staying in a position with an unreasonable boss.... But I have dreams of telling her to take her job and shove it! Glad for you that you did and could!
Old 06-18-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

He really sounds like a jerk. My sister is a state defense attorney. Her pay stinks, but she LOVES the flexibility. That's one of the big reasons she puts up with being paid so poorly, lol.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Right. The poor pay was supposed to be balanced out by flexibility and reasonable expectations. My kids can't continue to pay the price for his self-centeredness.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I wish I was that brave, you are truly an inspiration!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do you have the option for an exit interview?
Old 06-19-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bravo! I took an early retirement offer (and an 80% cut in pay) because I was working for a jerk also. I'm struggling financially, but I've never been happier! Things will work out for you. Everything happens for a reason.

L