Notices

Learning your lesson

Old 06-17-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Learning your lesson

Sometime, you really do learn a lesson.

So, if there's one thing my drinking has made me realize, it's how much I love, and miss riding my motorcycle.

That's because, due to my suspended license, I can't ride it this summer. This will be the first summer in 36 years I won't be riding my motorcycle. I'll miss club rides, our annual out of state chapter get together, the relaxing Sunday breakfast rides...

Everyday I park my car in the garage (I have limited work privileges) walk past my bike, and get so angry at myself. I have no-one to blame but myself, and that pisses me off more. I could have stopped this, but didn't. I could be riding this summer if not for...myself!

I won't be getting my license back until early October. Living in Ohio, that pretty much means I've missed the entire season.

The blackouts, the hangovers, the embarrassing situations, those didn't seem to matter much. But my DUI arrest and the loss of being able to ride my bike, well...it's a hard lesson learned.

70 Days sober today for me, and all I can say, is there will never be another summer I don't ride, until the day I physically can't anymore. I won't let alcohol steal another summer from me.

Just felt like sharing my lesson learned...hope you all don't mind.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for sharing your lesson. Might save someone else from having to learn it the hard way.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 70 days!!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a tough lesson. Congratulations on 70 days sober.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. I too didn't get sober until I got a DUI. Lost it for 6 months...I know just what you are going through. I now see the DUI as a blessing because if it didn't happen I may still be out there drinking or something worse could've happened. I also learned patience and gratitude for the things I take for granted everyday. Been back on the road now for 3 weeks and it feels amazing. October will be here before you know it...summer always flies by Congrats on 70 days!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you won't be riding this summer - but I wish you well for all the seasons and years after this one of sober riding

D
Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by BikerAcct View Post
Sometime, you really do learn a lesson.

So, if there's one thing my drinking has made me realize, it's how much I love, and miss riding my motorcycle.

That's because, due to my suspended license, I can't ride it this summer. This will be the first summer in 36 years I won't be riding my motorcycle. I'll miss club rides, our annual out of state chapter get together, the relaxing Sunday breakfast rides...

Everyday I park my car in the garage (I have limited work privileges) walk past my bike, and get so angry at myself. I have no-one to blame but myself, and that pisses me off more. I could have stopped this, but didn't. I could be riding this summer if not for...myself!

I won't be getting my license back until early October. Living in Ohio, that pretty much means I've missed the entire season.

The blackouts, the hangovers, the embarrassing situations, those didn't seem to matter much. But my DUI arrest and the loss of being able to ride my bike, well...it's a hard lesson learned.

70 Days sober today for me, and all I can say, is there will never be another summer I don't ride, until the day I physically can't anymore. I won't let alcohol steal another summer from me.

Just felt like sharing my lesson learned...hope you all don't mind.
Yeah, but you stick with this, and there will be NOTHING standing in your way from you hopping on that bike and riding every summer from now until whenever. Alcohol is such a limiting substance in every way. Being free of it, you will see more and more examples of how much better life is as you go on. Congrats on your 70 days!!! Make sure you google PAWS, its something everyone needs to know about in recovery.