Notices

New and trying hard...

Old 06-16-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and trying hard...

Hello all, I am on day one of not drinking after a horrible blackout last night that led to me flirting with someone else in front of my boyfriend and vomiting in bed. I have tried several times to stop drinking and always go back to it with new "rules" for myself that I end up breaking. It's hard because I'm 25 and most of my social life involves bars and drinking. I really want to make this change and am finally seeing how bad of a drunk I am and what massive mistakes I make when I drink. I'm really nervous though, and worried about staying strong. Any tips would be appreciated, and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Tayler
Old 06-16-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. This is a great place to get support
Old 06-16-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to you Tayler. I think it'll help you to be here - there's so much support from people who really understand.

When I was 25 I had the same problems with drinking, but I refused to admit I needed to stop all together. I went on for many years trying to use willpower to control it - and that never worked once. I'd give anything to go back and do what you're doing - owning up to the fact that we can't touch it. Be proud of yourself for reaching out for help. We're glad you joined the family.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Heyyyy! Look it, I'm 28, one week and a day sober... Realized I wasn't invincible last weekend when I blacked out on my best friend who drove and hour out of his way to see me. Passed out on him at 10:30pm and he had to walk to the bars by himself. I somehow broke my toilet seat and woke up with no idea of where I was... Moral to the story, we're human and will always function like a clock until we actually find the ***** in our chain. You've recognized the problem and you're taking the first and best step by talking to people who have been there. So stick around SR, read about other people's problems, comment where you see fit. You'll find that not only are you helping others but are also helping yourself indirectly. We're here for you and "we" love you. -B
Old 06-16-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Tayler!

26-year-old here, 9 days sober. I hear you with social life revolving around bars - it's tough, and something I am not sure how to deal with yet myself. Anyway, welcome and best of luck!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful

I am on day one of not drinking after a horrible blackout last night that led to me flirting with someone else in front of my boyfriend and vomiting in bed.
A black out drunk have started many a "day one" for people...especially once they found out what they did while they were blacked out.

I have tried several times to stop drinking and always go back to it with new "rules" for myself that I end up breaking.
If you can't control your drinking then it might be time to consider trying to quit.

It's hard because I'm 25 and most of my social life involves bars and drinking.
Getting sober is hard work. You have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. I didn't see anything in your post about wanting to quit drinking. I know you want bad stuff to stop happening, but the big question is what is the best way to get the bad stuff to stop? I can only think of two ways...control your drinking or stop all together. It sounds like you've tried to control it and it hasn't worked too well. If you want to quit all together then you will need support. Usually if you can't control your drinking then you will find it very difficult to quit on your own.

That's where SR comes in. We are here to support each other through the tough times of getting and staying sober. We also recommend having some kind of recovery plan. There are a lot of reasons that people become addicted to alcohol beyond just the physical addiction. Most people need to make some changes in their life, and that is where some type of recovery plan comes in handy.

Welcome and keep coming back and posting.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Taylor - I recommend you read Grungehead's post about 50 times :-)

I'm 41 - but I was an alcoholic at 25. And 20. And 15. So I have a lot of wasted years, blackouts, bodily fluid stories, and broken bones / bruises due to drinking. Wish I had done this at 25 like you. But I'm here now and SR has been great so use it instead of a drink - if you think you can drink then check in here instead. Also think about support in your world - a sober friend or AA and hang out with them. It's a journey that will take hard work but the rewards are fantastic. Hope to see you around the forum and keep strong.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support! It's really helpful already...especially because there is a part of me that's embarrassed about not being able to control myself. Grungehead, you're right...I want to QUIT drinking altogether and I know I need to make some big changes to keep it up. Thinking about starting to jog and exercise more but I'm just worried about sticking to that. Thank you all for replying to my post and I will definitely be logging on here a lot!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

Probably the biggest thing is if the only plan you have is not to drink, thing drinking is the only thing that you are left with to do. My issues with quitting drinking in the distant past was that my "plan" was not drinking. All of my "work" focused on not drinking. What that left me was one focus and eventually that always led me back to drinking. Finding interests, a passion in life, other things that bring joy and contentment are what lead away from drinking. Doing things for oneself for which drinking would be counter productive or not at all attractive will lead one away. Building healthy relationships and being involved in healthy activities leads one away. If you don't have a "stopper" you will never have one and drinking will never be an option "except" in the mental lies that we tell ourselves. Find another focus and pursue that with passion.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I planned on and attempted to stop drinking so many times in my life. It wasn't until I got help with the WHY I drink (by help I mean AA, and AVRT, therapy sessions, other intreats in my)... Them I was only wanting to stop drinking. You have to put a plan of action into place.