Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

For those new to recovery, list what u think will be best about quitting :)

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've tried to cut-back/quit so many times its ridiculous. But I'm new to this forum and am thoroughly enjoying myself just reading and doing some posting. Have shed a few tears here-n-there as well :'o)

Everyone's life is so different, I am curious about other people's stories, where they're at, and what they REALLY hope to gain via sobriety.

I guess I can start:

More music:
I'm a semi-pro musician/producer/vocalist/audio engineer. Though my accomplishments aren't piddly, I feel like the hours and days I spend drinking AND HUNG-OVER are seriously hampering me from reaching the next level of success and happiness with my art/work.

Better social skills.....SOBER:
Alcohol triggers the release of endorphins, and for me, makes me a lot more open, a whiz at conversations, and more friendly in general. Personality is big for me--and I've noticed that, when I'm sober these days, I can be crabby, TOO introverted, less patient when ppl are discussing topics that "aren't important to me", less able to roll with a joke made against me, not even interested in having conversations, etc...things like that. I am of the belief that, if my brain wasn't waiting for that alcohol to trigger that endorphin release around 9-10pm every nite, I could have a better personality sober ALL DAY LONG.

Better HEALTH:
An obvious given. I am currently dealing with stomach pains this very moment, and is half the reason I looked up and joined this forum today. Sometimes I feel like I'm gonna die within a couple years if I keep this up I dont think that binge drinking right before sleep is helping me lose weight either, and hangovers sure dont inspire me to exercise.

Those are 3 off the top of the head. Anyone else care to share their hopes?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome JJames!

I quit a while ago. Some of the best things for me-
Aikido/Biking/Physical activities- Many of the things I most love to do would be difficult to do drunk or hungover.

Better relationship with my husband

Sense of integrity- I felt a lot of shame about drinking and hiding it. I like the sense of integrity and honesty that I have now.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just about everything for me. My health, my bank account, my relationships, and probably one of the biggest: my sense of self-worth. I realize not drinking won't magically make my problems go away, but I'm actually looking forward to dealing with them with a clear head.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At just on 100 days I'd say my health has improved markedly, I have way more focus and concentration (functioning alcoholic is almost tautology), I'm more emotionally stable with far fewer mood swings, I've more money than I had before.