Notices

Have a wedding in 2 weeks.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have a wedding in 2 weeks.

I have a wedding in two weeks and my cousins girlfriend says "you're going to go get really hammered with us on the wedding right?". I tell her I'm trying to cut back, and she says it's a special occasion so I have to.

See this is the crap that really pisses me off. You tell a person you want to quit, or you have an issue with drinking and they think it's a big damn game to them. It literally makes me mad. You can't reason with these people. I've been isolating myself the past week or so because of this too. The less people I have to explain why I'm not drinking to the better. It's incredible so many people have an issue with me not drinking with them. I'm just glad the majority of my family doesn't drink at all. We went to the beach today for fathers day and the only one that brought a drink to the beach was my brother in law, and it was one. Man, JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

she says it's a special occasion so I have to

No, you do NOT have to drink for any reason. Be firm with them and tell them "I'm not drinking!" Repeat as necessary until they leave you alone.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You don't have to drink and you don't owe anyone an explanation.

Focus on yourself and your recovery and pay no attention to others who don't understand.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The only thing you have to do is stay sober you're very life depends on it. the wedding is important part the reception is optional
Old 06-16-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You mention that most of your family doesn't drink, so stick with them at the wedding You do not ever "have to" drink, that is your personal choice......and a good one, if I do say so myself
Old 06-16-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The thing I'm finding that is easier is just to tell people that you don't feel like going out, or you got work the next day or something like that. It's crazy but nobody asks a question if you say these things, and most the time it's true. I am tired of going out, I do have other priorities. I tell them how much I drink and they don't even think its a big deal. I normally top off a 750ml of whisky a day, I've told them that, and the response is either drink less, or drink beer. hahahahahaha. It would take a good 30 beers to get me that tore up.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Freedom--May--2012

Stark
It is your life and your freedom from alcohol. You must be selfish at this point....it is your choice to drink or not, only yours.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What I am hearing is that you want others to understand the magnitude of your situation. So, I hear you completely. Drinking is doing nothing good for you at all. You have so much more to live for than a bottle, and a chronic hangover.
These friends of yours may have their own alcohol problem. The only person that needs any explanation is.....No one. Keep doing your thing. When the subject comes up just say " NO, I am not drinking tonight!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"But who else will hold your hair for you when you're puking?"

Cheeky one liners aside, when you said you were cutting back she heard Oh, this is someone else that can turn into a **** show with me YAY! As others have said, guard your sobriety as if your life depends on it. Do you have an escape plan and support (people there, people to text, call) for the day?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stark, don't do it. Don't give in to what people think you should do . If I knew about this site before I relapsed, I wouldn't have relapsed. Don't become me and all the others before me. Stay strong, say no. It's totally worth it.