Notices

Will I go crazy?

Old 06-16-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will I go crazy?

I'm addicted to painkillers and sleeping pills and I really want to quit but I am so scared that I won't be able to handle life and i'll have a nervous breakdown and go crazy. I've been under psychiatric care on and off for years now for depression and anxiety but I've also self-medicated with other prescription drugs. My pre-addictive self was a very scared, depressed and unstable person, and i'm afraid that if I stop self-medicating I will return to that awful state. I'm really scared of having a nervous breakdown, as my pre-addictive self had a few. I'd really appreciate any advice or support anyone can give me. I'm in a very frightened state right now.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think abuse pain killers and sleeping pills is a crazy way to deal with depression and anxiety. You should see a medical doctor about those problems, and ask if they can help you address your addiction.

I'm understand you're scared about what might happen if you try to quit. I'm scared about what will happen if you don't.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Siobhan, I have experience with pain pills ( my doc ) I went CT 44 days ago and I am fine although I felt like I might go crazy for awhile. I dont however know anything about sleeping pills. Have you talked to your doctor about your addiction?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome Siobhan, love your name!

I honestly think you should talk to a doc about this. They would want to make sure you don't go back to the way you were while getting you off of what you are currently taking. Trust your doc.

Good luck!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Siobhan and welcome to SR.

When I was drinking I was treated for anxiety and depression. I took medication though looking back I realise the anti-depressants were probably totally ineffective given the amount of alcohol in my bloodstream. I was prescribed beta-blockers for spells of extreme anxiety. I had started to abuse diazepam too, thinking it was the only thing that would enable me to sleep.

Through working with my doctor and a counsellor, I've now got to the root cause of my issues. I'm in therapy and been diagnosed with PTSD. I'm now off all meds, but reviewed regularly. I'm still anxious sometimes, I keep the beta blockers in case. But I'm not depressed. For me, it was stopping drinking and working with my doctors that kept me sane.

Best wishes to you x
Old 06-16-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your replies. My psychiatrist knows about my addiction but I haven't told her that I've started self-medicating with painkillers again. You see I've just had a baby and I gave up everything during the pregnancy, but now I have post-partum depression and I'm finding motherhood very difficult. I was prescribed anti-depressants for this but so far I'm getting no benefit from them so I started self-medicating with painkillers again to ease the anxiety. I see the doc again in a week and I will tell her what I'm doing. I've been in rehab before but I still came out quite unstable. I can't go to rehab again right now as I need to be here for my baby. I can't stop crying right now. I really hope she can help me. Thanks again everyone for listening.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Be honest with your doc, depression after having a baby is very common and treatable.

I'm wishing you well x
Old 06-16-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do about being scared and anxious all the time? I've tried meditation and relaxation techniques and I just can't sit still. I just end up getting more anxious.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I felt that way ALOT in the beginning, it was just part of the w/ds for me, I still get that way occasionally. But when I feel the anxiety coming on I try to focus on other things, I play internet games, read, take a walk etc..I know for me the more I concentrate on it the worse it gets. Just try to keep your mind occupied the best you can
Old 06-16-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Anti depressants take time. ( as you know) sometimes there has to be a trial and error to see what works. I do understand the self medicating. Since you are going to the doctor next week, let the doc know everything. Also, there is always your local health food store. Talk with the product consultant and maybe see about getting some tea, or herbal remedies that address anxiety. There is a flower essence that is called Bach's Rescue Remedy that people use for such issues. It is none habit forming. We are not allowed to give medical advice so I'm hoping this doesn't go over the line. Anxiety and depression can be crippling. I empathize with your situation. I've used Bach's in the past. Breathe in and out. You are not going to go crazy.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I don't know how long ago you had the baby, but maybe physical activity like yoga or walking. That would help immensely. I'm sorry you feel so low, I had horrible post partum depression but it cleared with the proper anti depressant. Post here too, that will help.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I felt anxious after my baby.
I think the tiredness makes it all worse.

I would chat to your doctor.
There are non addictive solutions to anxiety that he/she can prescribe, such as beta blockers.

The problem with pain pills etc is that as you become dependent on them, your body needs more and more to get the same effect and that gets more and more dangerous.

You need to enjoy your baby sweetheart.
Believe you and me they grow up very, very quick.
My little pink bundle of love is now 3 and she has tantrums, strops, hands on hips, answers back, says she's very disappointed in me!!!

Make the most of the baby phase while you can.

Feeling anxious after a baby is nothing the doctor has not heard before. Its happens and they will just want to help.

I think you have more chance of going back to where you were if you keep taking the painkillers and sleeping tablets than if you stopped.

We are all here for you

My best to you
xx
Old 06-16-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone for the support. I'm so glad I found this site.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here Siobhan - welcome

I thought I might go crazy too - but instead I got my sanity back.
It's the addiction merry go round that's the insane life.

You and your baby deserve better

you'll find a lot of support here - you're not alone

D