Notices

Brain Zaps?

Old 06-15-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brain Zaps?

Ok Im not sure what to call it, I always said my brain felt like it would " swoosh " around lol. I guess its the same as Ive seen others say " Brain Zaps "?

Anyway, has anyone else had this problem? The past few mornings when I first get out of bed for maybe 5 minutes or so, I have that yucky feeling in my head. I remember years ago I had stopped taking Zoloft an it happened quit a lot, but now Im not taking anything other than my vitamins, B12 & Ibuprofen.

Im at day 43 off Opiates and Im wondering if this is a normal thing to feel? Also during that first 5 minutes out of bed I feel pretty crappy, but I have my hot tea an feel fine after that. My day goes on then around 5pm I start feeling anxious, and a little RLS, not anything I cant handle but it does get a little aggravating day after day. Is all of this a " Normal " thing at 43 days?
Im not asking for medical advise, Im just trying to find out if anyone else has experienced these things after getting off opiates.
Thanks in advance
Old 06-15-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by SNST View Post
Ok Im not sure what to call it, I always said my brain felt like it would " swoosh " around lol. I guess its the same as Ive seen others say " Brain Zaps "?

Anyway, has anyone else had this problem? The past few mornings when I first get out of bed for maybe 5 minutes or so, I have that yucky feeling in my head. I remember years ago I had stopped taking Zoloft an it happened quit a lot, but now Im not taking anything other than my vitamins, B12 & Ibuprofen.

Im at day 43 off Opiates and Im wondering if this is a normal thing to feel? Also during that first 5 minutes out of bed I feel pretty crappy, but I have my hot tea an feel fine after that. My day goes on then around 5pm I start feeling anxious, and a little RLS, not anything I cant handle but it does get a little aggravating day after day. Is all of this a " Normal " thing at 43 days?
Im not asking for medical advise, Im just trying to find out if anyone else has experienced these things after getting off opiates.
Thanks in advance

Its normal. I never got into opiates, but I take effexor, and when I quit once, I got those zaps and they are really unpleasant. Im sure opiates may cause the same sensations.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My son used to take Zoloft and he got them if he forgot to take it. My daughter took Effexor and she felt the same thing if she missed a dose.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I take Effexor and get that feeling along with tingling hands and feet
Old 06-15-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its been several years since Ive taken Zoloft, but remember this happening when I stopped taking them, its been 43 days since Ive taken any kind of Opiate and Ive just started having this happen within the past 3 days As I said it dont last no time at all and its just when I first wake up. I guess it must be part of the recovery process. Maybe my brain is finally trying to get " Normal " again
Old 06-15-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm going through it now since I stopped taking lexapro recently. I feel it the most when I quickly look from side to side without moving my head. Also went through it when I stopped taking Paxil. It goes away eventually.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Zoo
Zoo

i have mood problems but can't remember what i felt like before my current med schedule, which is somewhat upsetting

Last edited by Zoo; 06-15-2013 at 10:32 PM. Reason: bad post
Old 06-16-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have had those for years and I am not on antidepressants. Sometimes I feel as if there is an explosion in my head or a violent electrical shock. I have spoken to Drs about it and none have ever raised alarms. I will go months without one and suddenly have one.

Even tried to do some internet searches on it and came up empty.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses I hadnt had it happen in many years so maybe it does have something to do with stopping the Opiates. It wasnt bad this morning so hopefully it will go away soon.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi SNST -

MY DOC was alcohol, not opiates so can't speak to your situation.

With my own experience with alcohol, the ' extended acute' phase lasted for close to 30 days, with the brain being the last 'phase' I went through, where I would notice weird things that just weren't normal. For me, it was the brain re-calibrating and did settle down . Opiate detox seems to take longer.

If you're nervous tho, check it out with a doc.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Serene, I think that is what it is. Its not something that Im going through all the time, just for the first few minutes when I wake up. I know it does happen when going of of certain meds. I think its just my brain getting back to " normal " whatever that is
Old 06-16-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Idiot!

I'm quite familiar with the zaps having been on and off various anti-depressants over the years but it's not something I've experienced with opiates? Also, you would imagine if it was opiate related it would have started sooner than 40 days after your last one. It may just be like you say, things are finally sorting themselves out in your brain and this is a transitional thing - hopefully it won't last too long.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was thinking the same thing Chopper, its been 44 days and it didnt start until day 41. Kind of weird but Ill give it a little while longer and if it continues Ill mention it to my doc. Once Im up moving around it stops so hopefully its nothing
Old 06-18-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have been going through the something.....it's driving me crazy! I don't feel anything in the morning but when 4:30 hits I become so anxious that it makes me feel insane. I don't want to be around people or even speak. I have no idea what is going on!! It feels like the first few days of withdrawals. Im glad that this must be normal I don't like hearing it is here to stay for awhile

Glad to hear that you are still doing great though!!! Keep up the good work!!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hey, SNST,
I had the brain zaps when I went off of xanax. Then at the beginning of opiate detox, for a couple of weeks. But I haven't had it since. Ditto with the RLS.
Have you checked your blood pressure in the morning? Since it has been a while since you detoxed, and you haven't had this till now, I would suggest a doc appt. if it doesn't stop soon. Just to make sure it's not something unrelated to opiate w/d. It very well may be, as we are all different.
As for the late day anxiety, yes I had that for a while, but not very often now. Give that a little more time. It does get better.
You are doing so great! I'm so happy and proud for you!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Jenn, its good to see you around, Ive been worried about you. Theres something about the evenings an anxiety, I still havent figured that one out Hang in there, it will get better, I know I had some really bad days until maybe the 35th day. I still have some uncomfortable times but its getting a lot better

Hey Joy, Thanks So far theres been no Zaps for a couple of days, so thats a plus. I do take BP meds, but Ive been on them for maybe 7 years. Hopefully the zaps wasnt anything but if they come back I will see a doc. I hope your doing good
Old 06-19-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am at 37-38 days and it is not letting up my hands start to tremble and everything! I hate it!!! I keep thinking I have done something wrong along the way. I am trying to hang in there, it's not easy.

Thanks for checking on me I have tried to stay busy to keep my mind clear. Glad you are doing well....keep up the good work!!!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hate to hear that Jenn, you should be feeling better by now, I dont understand why your not Have you talked to your doctor about it?
Old 06-21-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No.....I haven't been back to the Doc. but will be soon! Hopefully there is something that will help. Thanks
Old 06-21-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SNST View Post
Thanks Serene, I think that is what it is. Its not something that Im going through all the time, just for the first few minutes when I wake up. I know it does happen when going of of certain meds. I think its just my brain getting back to " normal " whatever that is
I'm clearly not an expert in this and certainly am not offering medical advice, but from what you say, maybe it's that your brain, still trying to readjust after having been deprived of an addictive substance, has more trouble than usual rebooting itself to a conscious state after having been in a deep sleep. If this is so then one might expect that, with time, the brain, as it continues to recover, might become more efficient in making the transition from sleep to consciousness and so the "zaps" will become less frequent and less bothersome. Your brain needs some time to readjust its software. It's really amazing how the brain and body adjust to things. Indeed, this is what happens in addiction. The body has "adjusted" to the addicted substance and when that substance is discontinued it has to readjust back to where it was initially. .