Notices

Need help

Old 06-14-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help

I am new to this site and have a few questions. Firstly I have been trying to stop drinking for a few months now. Last week I went 4 days without any booze. I usually drink every second day between one to two bottles of wine.
The last couple of days have been different.. After my four day stint of abs, I drank two bottles if wine on Thursday night and then about 12 beers and four shots of bourbon Friday night. This morning I feel like death. My question is..will I go through life threatening withdrawals from this? I have an underlying anxiety issue which is so much worse after drinking and I'm freaking out about dying from withdrawals. Any help would be much appreciated. I really want this to be the last time I drink because I just can't take it anymore.
Thanks in advance guys
Old 06-14-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

please see a doctor for a proper detox

detox can be fatal
Old 06-14-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Claudi - welcome

the thing is - we don't know.
Noone does - withdrawal is so unpredictable.

If you're worried why not find a bulk billing Dr today and get yourself checked out?

D
Old 06-14-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I suppose I was just looking for some ball park figures.. Some sites have said you have to drink everyday, hard for at least a year, others say it can happen after one night of binging.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You never know how it will be. That's why it's smart to get medical help with w/d.
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

So many variables come into play, like age, general nutrition, underlying medical conditions etc. that it is dangerous to ballpark especially if you have been drinking a lot and often. Please consult a medical professional, they will be able to properly assess your unique situation. All the best and welcome.
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

None of us know your general health, your clinical history, and even if we did none of us are Drs

I detoxed without apparent ill effect many times - the last time tho I suffered several mini strokes.

I'm not trying to scare you - just to show we just can't give you guarantees.

D
Old 06-14-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Okay, thanks guys.
I'm 27, female, average weight. I will go to the doctors if it gets too horrible. I mean, it's already horrible but you know what I mean.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good luck and take care and don't hesitate to see a doctor if things get bad or just in case.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

If things get bad forget the doctor and go to emergency room and make sure that you have someone close at hand that can help
Old 06-14-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What do you mean by "bad"?
Old 06-14-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

For me I felt like my heart was going to explode uncontrollable vomiting so weak I couldn't walk sweating like I didn't know it was possible to sweat. In general I thought I was dying and it is entirely possible I was. Was taken to emergency room and stabilized.

I am not a doctor but this was my personal experience. I do know that detox should be medically supervised. it is much better to be overly cautious than underly cautious
Old 06-14-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Claudi - We're glad to have you here. When I stopped drinking my blood pressure spiked dangerously - that's just one of the things that can happen.

I hope you'll stick with us after your withdrawal issue is resolved. This is a wonderful place to be when you're newly recovering. I drank heavily for decades & I finally was able to let go of it after joining SR.