Happy Father's Day to Dads, and Moms Who Do Both

Old 06-14-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happy Father's Day to Dads, and Moms Who Do Both

Good Morning, SR Friends,

It's a beautiful, sunny morning here in Central Ohio - the nasty storms have moved on and we are left with perfectly clear skies, low humidity, and comfortable temperatures. And now that the in-laws have been gone for 2 weeks now, our 3 year-old is finally back to peaceful nights' sleeps.

I just wanted to wish all the Dads, and the Moms who have to be both Moms and Dads, a Blessed and Happy Father's Day. May you all have, even for a moment, some peace and serenity this weekend. And may your children know and appreciate all that you do for them, especially those in live with active A's.

I'm an older Dad (turn 50 later this year), and never thought I would experience the types of feelings and emotions in my life, until I had a child. There are as wonderful as they are frustrating some days, but I wouldn't change a thing.

I will cherish my son always, and give my life for him, if need be. I hope we all take a moment this weekend, even if there isn't time to fart - and give those little ones (or big one if they're grown), an extra hug this weekend if you can.

And sending my own cyber-hugs out to all of you, for being there and being such great support for me, and countless others.

Blessings,
C-OH Dad

P.S. "Don't have time to fart" is going to be my tagline, I think!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The same to you!
Old 06-14-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is always time to fart.

That's my zen from me to you on Father's Day. <3 <3
Old 06-14-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I want to add, Happy Father's Day to all the stepdads who "stepped in and stepped up" for children that weren't biologically theirs.

I had a stepfather who my mother married about a year after she kicked my alcoholic father out. Jim gave me some very, very precious years of normalcy. How? By just showing up to life. He left for work every day at 8:30am. He came home every day at 5:30 pm. He was 10 years younger than my mom (Go Mom, you Cougar!), only 28 years old when they married and took on 4 kids ranging from 7-17.

He would leave little cartoons in my breakfast cereal bowl after he had set the breakfast table the evening before--contrast that with when my dad was at home and we had breakfast cereal for dinner and nothing else. He would play silly games with us--contrast that with my father who once drunkenly told me that he was ashamed of me because I used the color black, without blending it with a "real" color in a picture I painted.

So, I want to honor the people like him, who probably don't know the positive impact they have on the children who might seem distant at times, or rebellious at time, or hard to reach at times. They can make a difference, a huge one, and I hope they know it.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, OhioDad, and right back attcha!!! I really needed to hear that this morning as reminders are everywhere of celebrations of a day that reminds me of what my children don't have. But really, I could see it as you do - hey, it's another opportunity to celebrate ME! I get to claim Mother's Day AND Father's Day!!!

And SoloMio, your post gave me hope. I hope the new man in my life will one day (if/when we actually get to the point of living together) will be exactly that: an example of normalcy. He's already been more of a rock in my kids' life than AXH has.

Here's to responsible parenting wherever it can be found!!!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great thread, thanks COD.

I too play Mom & Dad most of the time, although the girls' Dad is active in their lives, he is 3000 miles away.

So too all of us - have a wonderful day filled with love and laughter!
~T
Old 06-14-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you centralohiodad and solomio Today my children know me as a sober man...the three are in late 20s...I am grateful to their exSF who stepped up to the plate when I refused...

I have made amends to him.

I have made amends to the children and will continue to do so,

and the wonderful thing is the boys accept that.

I don't expect to hear from them...that is their choice...but I will take the time to call them and compose fairly long letters to all three and email them.

COD: your description of the weather is one of recovery...after the storms comes sunshine

SM: I talked to the boys exSF at one's wedding and thanked him profusely. I want to keep him in mind also.

And I would like to honor all of the men who impacted my children's life.

Thanks so much for this great thread. It is a good point to end posting for the morning.

Until later...peace, happiness, recovery to you all!
Old 06-14-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Thanks and right back atchya. I gotta tell you I thoroughly enjoy my two sons. They are soon to be 27 and 20 this July and they are a blast to hang out with. They both have great personalities and a wonderful sense of humor, we laugh until our cheeks hurt every time we get together. They both have great girlfriends and I hope they keep them. They all have great futures ahead of them and I couldn't be more proud.

Tomorrow they are going with me to my ex step daughters HS graduation party and the whole family and ex-step family will be all together in one place for the first time in a few years. Tomorrow would have been Ms 53rd birthday so being with her family and kids will be emotional I'm sure. But it will be great way to honor her memory. All our kids are doing so well.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

i am a widowed mom...i do it all....i just want a COFFEE....so kids and i will go out and get myself a coffee and one for late hubby and drop it of at his resting place....

so happy dads day to you all!!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

What an awesome thread!

Yes, happy Dad's day to all the dads, stepdads, and single moms out there! You all ROCK.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

C-OH DAD thank you so much for this thread!

Your son is lucky to have you!
Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I posted before I didn't expect to hear from my boys...how great it was to get a Father's Day card from one of them!

With respect to him I'll just say he appreciates my decision over the past ten years to ask that I be able to contact him...so far we visited three times...went to his wedding...and spent a great week with him and his wife in L.A.

I am grateful that I am free to talk, email, and text him and his two brothers...

Alanon and AA has worked wonders in our lives...and thanks to all of you for the support!
Old 06-16-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks COD!! This post really touched my heart this morning.

Father's Day is a tough holiday.

I lost my dad almost three years ago and I miss him alot.

The last time my son saw his own father...my exah...was exactly a year ago today. Today, I have a protection order to keep him away from both of us. He was convicted of aggravated stalking (of me). My son is growing up without a dad...and that makes me sad.

Yet, our home is peaceful. It is filled with laughter We are okay. And I am so grateful. I really am. But father's day is tough.

Yes indeed, happy fathers day to ALL fathers...those who are with us, those who are gone, and those who stand in their place in an effort to fill the gap.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

outonalimb :thankyou for a beautiful post. Sad yes but comforting to know you have a peaceful household...

Three years after my father died I think I was finally finished with the mourning. I know that's a long time. Here 17 years later I still dream of him...and today posted photos of him on my FB page...

I am so glad I made amends to him before he died...and just recently did another 9th step at his gravesite.

Today my youngest son who doesn't consider me his "father figure" called me and wished me Happy Pop Day! But he did say, "Love you Dad."

I haven't heard from my son who is active in his addictions. I haven't reacted. I sent all three of them messages today that I had written last night. It is his choice and there is no reason to pursue him...there are many more people involved in his life...

outonalimb: you got me writing more than I was going to! Thank you...and a joyous day to you and son.