Notices

Anyone heard anything about alcoholism and hypoglycemia?

Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
now's the time

Anyone heard anything about alcoholism and hypoglycemia?

So I've heard it mentioned here and there that there's a connection between alcoholism and hypoglycemia. I've done some googling but come up with surprisingly little. Turns out hypoglycemia isn't a condition, as I thought, but a symptom, yada yada.

But I believe I've read before that it has something to do with all the sugar in alcohol, possibly that the body continues to overproduce insulin or something?

Anyway just wondering because I've been noticing that if I forget to eat lunch in a timely fashion (which I usually do) I end up with a head full of angry by mid-afternoon. Today I really botched it by also having too much caffeine and I'm still kind of recovering from my 4pm crash.

Just curious if anyone's experienced the same or could point me towards any info on the topic.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Wilson the founder of AA was onto this, not sure there was much follow through on his or AA's part. I've heard it described as a very low grade diabetes too. Mayo Clinics website is pretty good for this sort of stuff. There is also the hyoglycemic diet, which basically means calibrating you diet with slowly absorbing carbs and not spiking your system with too much sugar. I've experienced the symptoms you describe, especially when I'm very physically active. I looked up a bunch of stuff a couple years ago and my take away was the hypoglycemic diet alleviates hypoglycemic symptoms (Duh), seems to work for me as I'm a whole grain convert and avoid a lot of hyper-processed stuff without going too Granola... Duh. Anyways... Try the Mayo Site if you like and maybe try googling Wilson and Hypoglycemia?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
So I've heard it mentioned here and there that there's a connection between alcoholism and hypoglycemia. I've done some googling but come up with surprisingly little. Turns out hypoglycemia isn't a condition, as I thought, but a symptom, yada yada.

But I believe I've read before that it has something to do with all the sugar in alcohol, possibly that the body continues to overproduce insulin or something?

Anyway just wondering because I've been noticing that if I forget to eat lunch in a timely fashion (which I usually do) I end up with a head full of angry by mid-afternoon. Today I really botched it by also having too much caffeine and I'm still kind of recovering from my 4pm crash.

Just curious if anyone's experienced the same or could point me towards any info on the topic.

Alcoholism gave me a lot of blood sugar issues. I would be so depleted after a bender, I would binge eat for 24 hours, which is why I gained those annoying 30 lbs. The blood sugar swings effect everything from your weight, to your anxiety and overall mood. Its part of the vicious cycle, especially with alcoholism.

I dont think many people realize this, so I am glad you posted about it.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a bit in Under the Influence. CarolD often referenced it.
Originally Posted by CarolD
Some of the symptoms mentioned...are also true for high blood sugar swings.

With my doctors ok....I did follow the eating plan + supplements for hypoglycemia fore about 6 months into sobriety.
I found it in my favorite "handbook' om alcoholism....
:Under The Influence" by milam & Ketcham.
Amazon usually has it and it's sequel .."Beyond The Influence" by Ketcham & ???

15 years later I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.
This requires daily oral meds....and Yes! an eating plan too...

I've found it rather easy to keep my sugar levels in the safe
range for 8 years as a diabetic.
Planning and vigilance work really well for me.

Soooo....please see what exactly you need......a simple blood test
by your doctor will give solid answers.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lcoholics.html
D