Notices

Concerned about the damage I've done.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Concerned about the damage I've done.

I'm not sure what category I fit in as far as an alcoholic but I'm positive I can't be around it without drinking everything in site. I've been like this since I started going to the bars after my mother passed away from Cancer. I was 22 then and I'm 36 now. Thankfully I only go to the bar two times per week. I'm fighting like hell though to quit going since I know that is my trigger. I quit the pool league I'm in last week and have been running 2 miles a day since to try and keep my mind off it. So far it's working but I can't help to think the damage I've done to my liver in specific. I definitely feel a little bit of discomfort where my liver is. Nothing serious but enough to scare the heck out of me as I know how important this organ is. I joined this site to hopefully get a better understanding of my addiction and how to keep from ever drinking another drop. I have too much to live for. My last drinking binge was last Saturday. I think I drank like 6 beers but in a short time frame before coming home and throwing up. Yea, not the kind of life I want to live. I'm just praying this inflammation goes down in my liver soon b/c it's scaring the hell out of me. I've tried finding useful information on detoxing my liver and kidneys and going to try a few things I read. Goal one, no alcohol at all. If anyone has any good links or advice though on the best way to cleanse my liver in a healthy way please share. I know the basics as far as plenty of water, rest, healthy foods, and some apple cider vinegar recipe. I don't know if I could stomach that vinegar but I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks for listening,
Shawn Hart
Old 06-13-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Shawn,
Welcome to our community. I am so glad that you found us. Coming here and posting is a huge step. You will find lots of support and encouragement here. You are not alone. Browse through the forums, there is much information here and please continue to post.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Liver and kidney cure

step one, quit drinking
step two, stay quit
Old 06-13-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jules

Welcome to SR. I know when I was actively drinking I was very paranoid about what I was doing to my body. I knew I drank way too much whenever I chose to pick up.

Have you thought about going to see a doctor about your concerns? As you know the best thing is to not drink at all. The body is pretty amazing with the whole healing process. It might be worth getting checked out if its stressing you that much.

Take care.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

First of all, see a doctor before taking anything you have reservations about, and just to ease your own mind.

(1) Get sober
(2) Milk Thistle & Vitamin C for detoxing your liver
Old 06-13-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Careful with the AC vinegar. That stuff's acidic enough to tear through enamel which, unlike liver, doesn't regenerate!

Congratulations on getting here. I fully endorse MIRecovery's plan.

I did want to throw a possibility out there: If you're insured and really worried, just ask your GP to order a full blood panel. You're old enough that asking for a full panel with cholesterol won't raise any red flags about drinking (assuming you don't want to disclose your drinking history to your treating physician b/c of the insurance implications), but any problems with your liver should show up. (I forget on which indicators, but with a little google magic you could find that information.) If you do have abnormal readings, you can proceed from there and make any disclosures you need. If you have normal readings, you can have one less thing to worry about.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sound advice. My plan is to continue exercising daily and trying to eat the best I can for at least a few weeks. It's only been 5 days and it's sad to say but I haven't gone a week without drinking for ten years The weird thing is if I'm not around it I don't really crave it too much. I make a rule to never buy beer and bring it to the house. I'd drink the entire case no doubt. It's gonna be hard to stay out of the bar though. I love the social aspect, shooting pool, and the beer of course I've already tried the "oh I'll go and just hang out and not drink" yea right. That has never worked. Anyhow, I'll give it a few months of living a healthy lifestyle and hope my liver shows improvement. If not I'll make the dreaded visit to the physician Thank you for your advice. I'll also refrain from the apple cider vinegar I like my teeth just the way they are.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a good plan, and you can always find support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Shawn

I think the best thing for your liver is time and no alcohol, but see your Dr about it if you're really worried - get a professional opinion.

D.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy to meet you, Shawn! This is a caring and supportive group - I know you'll find the encouragement you need.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by shwnhart12 View Post
I'm not sure what category I fit in as far as an alcoholic but I'm positive I can't be around it without drinking everything in site. I've been like this since I started going to the bars after my mother passed away from Cancer. I was 22 then and I'm 36 now. Thankfully I only go to the bar two times per week. I'm fighting like hell though to quit going since I know that is my trigger. I quit the pool league I'm in last week and have been running 2 miles a day since to try and keep my mind off it. So far it's working but I can't help to think the damage I've done to my liver in specific. I definitely feel a little bit of discomfort where my liver is. Nothing serious but enough to scare the heck out of me as I know how important this organ is. I joined this site to hopefully get a better understanding of my addiction and how to keep from ever drinking another drop. I have too much to live for. My last drinking binge was last Saturday. I think I drank like 6 beers but in a short time frame before coming home and throwing up. Yea, not the kind of life I want to live. I'm just praying this inflammation goes down in my liver soon b/c it's scaring the hell out of me. I've tried finding useful information on detoxing my liver and kidneys and going to try a few things I read. Goal one, no alcohol at all. If anyone has any good links or advice though on the best way to cleanse my liver in a healthy way please share. I know the basics as far as plenty of water, rest, healthy foods, and some apple cider vinegar recipe. I don't know if I could stomach that vinegar but I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks for listening,
Shawn Hart
Well, maybe you damaged it, maybe you didnt.............either way, you staying sober can allow it to heal or at the very least, not get any worse. The running is an EXCELLENT way to fight off the running thoughts, anxiety, and what have you, especially when you are first starting in recovery. I think it should be mandatory for everyone in recovery, lol. Stick with it, you will start to feel a lot better. There will be off days, but you will learn what you need to to do to overcome them without the crutch of alcohol. Congrats on your sobriety.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Of course you should see a doctor if you have symptoms of liver problems and just for peace of mind.

I'm not a doctor, so grain of salt, but I would be surprised if anyone suffered major liver damage by drinking from 22 to 36, twice per week about 6 beers per binge. That is relatively little and under most government weekly recommendations.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad to have you with us.

You know that going to the bar is a trigger, so why not take a 30 day break from it? Then see how you feel.

Again, welcome!