Notices

Day 14 check in

Old 06-12-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 14 check in

Two weeks without a cigarette or a drink. I feel tired today because my class is stressful but I am going swimming today instead of running because my knees are very sore. 16 days is the longest I have gone without a drink and I plan to extend my record by a lot. I am happy with two weeks under my belt, and I am learning more about why I drank every day. Dealing with memories and emotions I buried with drink is difficult, but I know I have to put many things behind me before I can move on. I hope every one is doing well.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Woo hoo! Doing great, Acheleus Keep it up!

Glad you are dealing with the memories and emotions... have you thought of maybe getting a therapist to help with it? I know you mentioned your mom and how she said some pretty unsavory things to you. I am the child of an alcoholic, and have lots of memories and dysfunction I'm sifting through... the therapist helps
Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes my mom was an alcoholic. I don't know if she still uses, I don't talk to her any longer. Reading some of the forums about ACOA helps me to figure out why I have a lot of anxiety and fear in my daily life. It's not as bad as it used to be, but I realize that growing up around alcoholics changed me. My dad still drinks every day and he lost everything because of women and drinking. As soon as I start teaching and get health insurance I will go see someone, which will be in August. Right now the exercise is doing wonders but I need to reach out and volunteer or something so I can interact with people outside of school. Graduate school is very isolating and rigorous, and spending so much time alone can be difficult. Maybe my thinking will get even better the longer I stay sober. Thanks SJ.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A good therapist is really helpful. My experience is that they are hard to find, though. I had to go through some mistakes to get to the one I have now, who works with the ACoA stuff well.

Hard exercise is really good therapy, too. Running, cycling, etc has been a lifesaver for me in quitting smoking/drinking. I can feel the infancy of a new, very healthy habit coming in.

Congrats on 14 days!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Grats on 2 weeks!! Keep up the good job!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This has been the longest two weeks ever! However, I do not think about smoking any more, but I do miss the social aspect of going out at night and drinking. Going and talking to people in bars is the one thing I have to forget about to stay sober, so I am thinking my way through the drink and telling myself that I am not attractive, smart, or charming when I am drunk. The only way I can be who I am is by being sober.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep, we only feel that we are more attractive, smarter, more charming when drinking... reality is that it warps our personality and makes us obnoxious and unattractive.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have noticed that when I was back home and going to the bars with my dad. I didn't drink and told them I was quitting and they all looked at me like I was a martian. When they got drunk they just looked pathetic and weak. I realize it takes strength to stay sober, being drunk all the time is cowardly. It's nice that here I don't have to hang around drunk people.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice! Crazy to think we're halfway towards a month. I promised myself I would get some pro help if I could make it 30 days, basically go to someone and see how I sustain this thing.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So I went fishing but didn't catch anything. I'm landlocked and I am used to being on the beach for the past five years. I have a lot of studying to do tonight but I feel the itch coming on to go out and have a few drinks and light up a cigarette. It's been really lonely and I still feel worried even though I haven't been smoking or drinking. Today has been hard for some reason, and only a few days ago I felt great. It might be the stress from this class I am taking, I really hate school right now and I am sick of it and ready to work and start a family, but I feel like I will never be able to get married or have children because...I don't know. My gf of five years left me, and I gave her many reasons, so I guess I feel like I will never have that close companionship again. Then I just want to drink, because I will only hurt myself now. So I am going to study and try to buckle down and go to the pool or something. SR has really helped me this time, and I know this Friday night I am going to have to stay on here and remind my self of this hell caused by drinking. I hope you are all doing well.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry about the fishing but congrats on two weeks

try not and project about the future too much - you may feel as if you will never experience something again, but none of us can possibly know the future map of our life, we can't see around corners or know whats there waiting for us.

Keep working on yourself

D
Old 06-12-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
So I went fishing but didn't catch anything. I'm landlocked and I am used to being on the beach for the past five years. I have a lot of studying to do tonight but I feel the itch coming on to go out and have a few drinks and light up a cigarette. It's been really lonely and I still feel worried even though I haven't been smoking or drinking. Today has been hard for some reason, and only a few days ago I felt great. It might be the stress from this class I am taking, I really hate school right now and I am sick of it and ready to work and start a family, but I feel like I will never be able to get married or have children because...I don't know. My gf of five years left me, and I gave her many reasons, so I guess I feel like I will never have that close companionship again. Then I just want to drink, because I will only hurt myself now. So I am going to study and try to buckle down and go to the pool or something. SR has really helped me this time, and I know this Friday night I am going to have to stay on here and remind my self of this hell caused by drinking. I hope you are all doing well.
You are going so well Acheleus Its going to take a little more time untill you are less bored and more comfortable with your sobriety. Keep really busy in body and mind and stay positive. It honestly does get easier and more rewarding the longer you stay sober and the clearer your head becomes
Old 06-12-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yea I am feeling happy that I have so much more time to devote to productive things like writing stories and songs, going outside and having the clarity of mind to think about the world. I got something to eat and I think I might have just been hungry. I am proud of my self even though it has only been fourteen days. Time to work on my self is good for me right now. Thanks guys.