Notices

Weight loss?

Old 06-12-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weight loss?

Has anyone experienced weight loss or weight gain from stopping drinking? I've been sober 5 months and have seemed to gain weight or stay the same. I thought I would lose weight from not drinking so much but I guess I do eat more! I need to quit smoking cigarettes too and exercising more..
Old 06-12-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

it depends on the person, I think, whether or not they gain or lose weight. As long as you're eating well I wouldn't worry about it. Do you exercise at all? I make sure to take a daily walk (with my dogs) so as to get my blood moving and fresh air and sunshine.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've gained weight because I wouldn't eat as much while drinking in order to get more drunk. I didn't drink much beer... mainly liquor. When you quit smoking cigs you'll almost certainly gain weight. People start eating a lot more when they quit smoking. I was no acception... Luckily, I was too skinny, and need the extra weight.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I ate a lot when I drank so I gained a lot of weight over the years. The drinking would throw off my blood sugar( I'm hypoglycemia) a lot so I ate more now I'm working on 6 months sober and blood sugar is so much better. I have actually lost weight(17pounds) but I'm trying because I need to get rid of this drinking overweight body and become healthy all the way around mind/body/spirit♥ I also quit smoking at the same time 5 weeks in I got a disposable Blu e cig. and I smoked on it for about 4 weeks it tapered off to nothing...You may want to try the Blu it runs $9.99 here. Try the disposable to see if you will like it...Good luck♥
Old 06-12-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I started eating way more snacks when I quit. So I have to exercise to keep the weight off. I run 2-3 miles 5 days a week and have lost 20 lbs since I quit a year ago. Exercise is key. Not only for keeping your weight down, but to improve your feeling of well being. Cigarettes are probably doing you no favors either.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

Weight gain is one of (many) reasons why I wanted to stop drinking. As soon as I drink I get the urge to eat junk.

I've lost 11 pounds so far but I'm eating healthy and avoiding junk food so that's probably got more to do with it than stopping the booze.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I quit smoking about 6 weeks before I gave up booze (which was 3 weeks ago). I didn't gain weight when I quit smoking because I started an aggressive exercise program, which interfered with my drinking time. I agree with Duane- exercise and kicking the tobacco is key. I also run 2-3 miles about 3-4 times a week, sometimes a little more. Words cannot express how much that is helping me- inside, outside, all around. I think it helps me not be a lunatic, as well as fends off depression. I have no idea if I've lost weight but I think I have lost a few pounds because some of my clothes fit differently. I'm at the point though, where I don't care. It would be great to look a little better on the outside (I'm on the line of "normal"/overweight, nowhere near "obese") but the inside is my primary concern.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

When I quit drinking (beer), I quit eating the kind of fatty snacks that I loved washing down with my beer: chips, nuts, pork skins, and so forth. So I dropped about 25 pounds in the first year, even though I was eating more sweets.

I think if you eat heathy, watch your portions, and add a little walking into your daily routine, you will see some weight coming off.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I've lost about 10-12 lbs since I quit drinking about 5 months ago. I attribute it to the fact that all I drank was beer (and LOTS of it! ) so I was taking in tons of extra bad calories.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by crgriffith123 View Post
Has anyone experienced weight loss or weight gain from stopping drinking? I've been sober 5 months and have seemed to gain weight or stay the same. I thought I would lose weight from not drinking so much but I guess I do eat more! I need to quit smoking cigarettes too and exercising more..
I worked out a TON (and still do 5 days a week) when I quit drinking because I enjoy and feel better having a certain body type. I lost it when I was drinking, and it really irked me. Besides my desire for a certain look, I feel working out kept me sane and grounded. It gave me an chance to burn off the anxiety and jitters, got me out of my head, and allowed me to process certain thoughts in a healthier manner. I suggest it for everyone in recovery, especially in the early stages.