Notices

Anxious and exhausted :(

Old 06-12-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxious and exhausted :(

6 days in and I'm realising what a huge part of my life drinking was - breaking the habits and associations will be hard. I don't feel like drinking but I do feel fidgety and anxious, like I'm waiting for something bad to happen? And absolutely shattered, I'm so tired. I thought I'd have bundles of energy due to waking up with a clear head but I still feel pretty naff in the morning.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Your brain is accustomed to producing more corticotropin-releasing factor (CRF) in response to the persistent alcohol stimulation. This stimulates your stress system. It should pass in a few weeks or months.

Hedonic Homeostatic Dysregulation as a Driver of Drug-Seeking Behavior
Old 06-12-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Bunting. Congratulations on your six days! The first few days can be really difficult and the fact that your mind is still strong is a huge credit to you. Meanwhile your body is wondering what the hell is going on. It's expecting it's alcohol dose and all the coping mechanisms that have been built up now need to be dismantled.
It will get better, and quickly. In the meanwhile, make a plan for when your are feeling restless, or tense or can't sleep. Lots of people go for exercise, yoga or meditation. It would be a pity to give up now, because this will pass.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

This will pass. I was a mess when I first quit. I was not a happy and chipper person when I first quit. I was angry, tired, resentful, fatigued, antsy and the list goes on. Honestly it really goes get better, just don't give up, you will start feeling better.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow I had no idea but that definitely explains how I'm feeling, thank you for the explanation!
Old 06-12-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Folks at work have said "oh you don't seem your usual perky self" and I can't explain why. Also I think I don't know what to do with all this sober, productive time I've had on my hands so exercise could be a good outlet. I'm so used to saying I'll do something and not following through but now I guess there's no reason not to.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I was lucky in a way as I wasn't working and my counselor sent me to daytox. It's like day thing while you are going thur detox. I also got back into reading and playing video games it kept my mind off drinking. I also spent alot of time at my daughters house, I would stay until 11:00 at night. Anything to keep from buying it.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Bunting it's a great idea to hop onto the internet and do some research about stopping drinking. Unless it makes you feel like starting again, in which case forget everything I said!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Bunting - I promise it will get better. I'm on day 18 and I'm just starting to come out of the fog. Don't worry about what people are thinking as a result of your less than perkiness. One of the reasons I fell into the bottle is because I spent my life trying to constantly make other people happy. Concentrate on yourself and YOUR future happiness.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hear you. The exhaustion actually has really surprised me. It's weird because in so MANY ways I feel better... even being exhausted feels good in a weird way because it's like my body and brain is HONESTLY tired- not hung over, or overwrought from not enough sleep. Keeping with this is really important to me and I'm just taking it in the forms it comes. Figure I've spent a bunch of years stressing my body out and now it's taking a chunk of time to heal.

When I realize I'm healing, the exhaustion feels good.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Bunting View Post
6 days in and I'm realising what a huge part of my life drinking was - breaking the habits and associations will be hard. I don't feel like drinking but I do feel fidgety and anxious, like I'm waiting for something bad to happen? And absolutely shattered, I'm so tired. I thought I'd have bundles of energy due to waking up with a clear head but I still feel pretty naff in the morning.

You have to give it time. It will get better, a lot better, but it takes more than a week. Think how long you have been drinking? Naturally you cant just stop and expect everything to get better in a week. It will though eventually, so give it time.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your post made me smile as it is true how exhausting physically as well as emotionally early sobriety can be. Do continue to take care of yourself. I find that a short catnap can do me wonders. It takes a loooooooong time for the healing to take place considering the toll alcohol use has taken on our body and mind. You are normal and in just the right place! Keep up the great work and your 6 days is wonderful!!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I can't believe this is the norm, I thought I'd have an instant energy boost so this has been a real disappointment. Looking forward to "1 week" tomorrow and thinking of smart ways to celebrate