Notices

Mixed feelings

Old 06-11-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mixed feelings

Been on and off the drink for a year now, off again now. Can anyone help with these questions

I get more sleepy ?

I have very happy moments elation then not so, not very depressed just not as happy ?

Get very motivated then not so ?

Very up and down mood swings I guess is that normal ?

Last time I stopped done 7 month with mood swings but okay, this time worse really help. From the uk here btw
Old 06-12-2013, 01:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now's the time

I think some of what you're describing is recovering from addiction, which can take up to a year (or more?) from what I've read.

And some of it just sounds like being a human being.

One of the most valuable things I've begun to learn in sobriety is how to relax and stop trying to control everything all the time. To let myself have bad moods without letting them overwhelm me and drive me to hurt myself by drinking.

It's not easy at first but it gets easier and easier.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I had many mixed emotions early in recovery. Feeling feelings was odd to me. Surprisingly, I like it now.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi B&W

I'm a few months sober and am loving it of course. No down hangover depression. In general, I'm surprized at how content I feel on a daily basis. However, some days, I am struck with feeling down and not motivated. I'm putting this down to general life now. Being drunk for years, I did not know what my normal high/low moods were, properly.

Just sharing my experience with you. On those down days, I try distract self with book/movie to avoid you know what! Best wishes.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What you're describing sounds very normal for a person in recovery. Take good care of yourself: eat right, exercise, and rest. See if time doesn't help you feel better.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That sounds very similar to my experience Blackandwhite. Especially the tiredness wound me up a lot as I felt like I was more functional when I was drinking. It really helped me to just try not to focus on the negatives too much and focus on all the positive changes, no matter how slight they may seem. It took me over a year to start feeling a little more lively but things did get a little better everyday. Sobriety is progressive x
Old 06-12-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Overslept today, seams my mind a d body wants to recover and rest maybe it is because it can !!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blackandwhite25 View Post
Been on and off the drink for a year now, off again now. Can anyone help with these questions

I get more sleepy?
Yes. It seems I am sleepy a lot lately and I want to sleep in later and later.

I have very happy moments elation then not so, not very depressed just not as happy? Very up and down mood swings I guess is that normal?
Yes. Well I am not really down but my emotions are a roller coaster right now. I am happy and feeling good one minute and then my head spins and I am crying the next. Back and forth. It is getting better though. More ups then downs at this point.

Get very motivated then not so
Yeah kinda. Not in my working on sobriety but household stuff, yeah. I have to make myself a list. Then as the day goes by I mark it off the list. I am doing small goals right now. I work so most of the stuff is on the weekends but I get it done. Just not quickly..lol

I think our bodies are still recovering. I want to sleep much more than I used to and I want to sleep longer. I used to get up very early and now not so much. I am still up early compared to some but I have always been a morning person.

I have been sober almost 3 months and I have been told all of this is normal stuff.