Notices

Day 13 check in

Old 06-11-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 13 check in

Still off cigs and beer. My stomach is bloated from not smoking though and i keep exercising, drinking water, and eating vegs but nothing changes. Im thinking of lighting up just to get rid of this bloat.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your stomach is bloated from not smoking? Now that's an odd one. Are you constipated? Are you getting enough protein and fats? Both your brain and body is in a bit of a shock..that will definitely adjust in time. Despite my addiction issues, I'm actually pretty "up' on nutrition...I'm a weigh loss coach by trade (shhhh).
Old 06-11-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think one of the side effects from quitting smoking is a bloated stomach. Most people eat a lot more when they quit smoking, and that can lead to a bloated feeling. Is this the case for you??? Just remember that 1 is too many, and 1000 is never enough. Once you smoke that one cig, you'll just want another one shortly after.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have drinking ALOT of seltzer water and I think that may be why. I also have been making smoothies with strawberries bananas and yogurt. I walk two hours each day and also run. So I dont know why unless my metabolism has stopped. I hate this feeling. Someone told me my body used nicotine to aid in digestion. Also I am ******* bored!!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your metabolism doesn't stop or even slow down as much as people think... it takes prolonged change in diet usually for it to even slow considerably.

Not sure why it's bloated... other than just the fact you have drastically changed your diet and daily routine... maybe just needs time to catch up?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The act of smoking actually boosts metabolism by about 200 calories per day (which you're burning off with the running I'm sure). Seltzer water is full of sodium...that might explain the bloat. Check the nutritional on the brand you're using... could you switch to plain water? With the increased physical activity you definitely need more protein..as a male..at least 3 servings (palm of your hand size if a meat eater) per day. And fats. If you are not getting adequate fat intake ..you will get constipated..not to mention the other shocks to your system.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know my stomach feels bloated when I drink a lot of seltzer.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice.. 13 here too. Maybe about 10 days without cigarettes.

Don't smoke again. I don't know about you but the withdrawals are gone after about a week. You're just going to tee yourself up for another few days of pain if you start smoking again.

Then again the last time I quit, maybe 6 years ago (stayed quit for 6 years too), I tried lighting up again after about a month. It was disgusting so I put the cigarette out and never looked back.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ok I just had chicken and beets with carrots and parsnips. I have switched to regular water. I dont think I have been getting enough protein. I feel better now and about to go running. My thighs are getting muscular and bigger I think, the way they were when I played soccer. The seltzer I have been drinking has one percent sodium in each can. I dont crave a cigarette or alcohol but my knees are very sore.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Are you running in good shoes? Do you know your gait? When I changed to the right kind of shoe it eliminated most of the knee & ankle pain.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yea I dont feel anything from not smoking. I am very proud of myself for taking the initiative to change my life. My stomach fluctuates throughout the day, like when I go to sleep it may be bigger but when I wake up its small. I am going to quit the yogurt and smoothies. But the bloat has motivated me to run and walk my butt off every day. I am going out in a minute after I get some sunscreen on. Im in Georgia and its real humid here.