Notices

June 1, 2013 - Life Begins Again

Old 06-11-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up June 1, 2013 - Life Begins Again

Hi friends,

Glad to have stumbled across this site. Hope to make a lot of new friends and find plenty of support while giving it as well

I had my last drink on May 31, 2013.

There was not a 'rock bottom' event for me. My wife and I just experienced a moment of clarity and decided to chat about giving it up. I do not want to take that road, I do not want to cause her any more suffering due to my actions.

I knew that if I continued on the same path, it would eventually bring an end to our marriage (BTW I'm 29, we will be married two years in July). Drink or have an incredible life? Seems like an easy choice, if you weren't an alcoholic, its a no brainer! But it was a difficult jump to make, for sure.

Our relationship has not been the same as it used to be: full of romance, happiness, and carefree. We needed that back.

So, I could try to be a moderate drinker (like so many of us dream to be) or I could just step up and do it the only way

Already, our relationship is improving every day. My head is clearing more every day.

The cravings are sometimes debilitating, but I chug a bottle of water, think about a happy future (or a bad, ugly time - "do you want this to happen again?") and let it pass. I'm taking L-Glutamine the past couple days and wow, it seems to be doing wonders.

If I didn't have such a great support system in my wife: my guardian angel, and my friends & family, this would be much, much harder. But each day feels easier than the last. I know there will be rough ones in the future, but I can do it

So Hi, I'm Devin, 29, I live in NYC, and I'm an alcoholic.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Devin - I wish at 29 I realized the path I was taking was not a good one. Welcome, welcome. I wish you strength and success. Don't ever give up. I've fallen many times, and today is a fresh start.

The timing of your post is perfect, as my husband was just telling me how he'd love to see us happy again. We used to do so many things together and truly enjoy life. The alcohol has taken that away. So, I think it's time to gain our happiness back, and let my life take the alcohol away instead of the alcohol taking my life away.

Best wishes to you. Everyone here is wonderful.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Marj, I wish you oh-so-much luck in your journey.

Thanks for the kind words. I can use all I can get lately
Old 06-11-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

and congrats on your sober time. May you have many more sober days.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, Least.

Looking forward to my time here, and my time going forward in life!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome LetGo. I also quit before I hit the proverbial "rock bottom" but i could see it coming on the horizon. You are making a great decision, and SR is a great place to read and write about recovery issues. Best of luck!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Devin Glad you're here. I can relate a lot to your post. My husband and I have been married less than two years and I'm sober now partly because of him, and my desire to start out our marriage on the right foot. Being married means you aren't just thinking about yourself anymore, there's this other person It's quite an experience! Haha.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Amen!

Before her, it was the typical story we've all heard or read about: I just ran in a circle of fairly successful people who just happened to work and but not do much socially other than drink. So it was hard to identify an issue when I was surrounded by the same issues. "Functional", if you will. /eyeroll.

Anyways. Thanks everyone. Keep truckin' yourselves