Notices

The friends day of truth.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Pot

The friends day of truth.

Ok, so yesterday was day 3 sober. And I had made the decision that I had to tell my two best friends of my choice. This had been playing Havick in my mind for the last few days, after all part if being an alcoholic is the "friendships" we are worried about loosing or being a social outcast.

Well let me tell you, after sitting down with my 2 mates, explaining the what and the why about my addiction, and making it clear that this was not a blame session it was MY problem, I then explained what I needed to do and were they stood in my recovery.

Well I can tell you, as true mates that they are they both have said that they will do whatever I need and help were they can.

Let me tell you guys, if you think the people you drink with are your true friends, then you need to make sure they know about your recovery, you will soon find out where you stand to them, after all, I believe in order for me and maybe you to succeed, we need to try and have a normal life. Alot of us drank because of social awkwardness, if we exclude our normal life from ourselves are we ever going to be able to offer our partners a normal life.

This has taken away any lying or hiding away for me and made my wife's life alot more pleasant because she now does not have to be on a socially dead life. My friends know when we get together, I DON'T DRINK, they have agreed to not mock, pressure or embarras me into drinking.

Thank you my friends.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go Pot!
I am so nervous about telling my best friends I can no longer drink. It's nice to hear that you've been able to receive support in your recovery from your friends
Old 06-11-2013, 02:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Pot that is so huge! You've laid a strong foundation for your recovery. Letting your mates know will give you support as well as accountability. It will be much harder to talk yourself into drinking! I applaud you I'm sure that wasn't an easy thing to do!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good for you!