Notices

It's time to handover

Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's time to handover

My Mum passed away today. I live far from home. I'm supposed to be flying back but my flight is currently 5 hours delayed, it has given me ample time for thinking. I've written a letter to my Dad, I hope you will bear with me.

Dear Dad,

I'm sorry to give you this terrible news, Mum passed away today. It was completely unexpected, I trust you hadn't been informed of her impending arrival. She spoke about you so fondly, never a bad word about you was spoken....she did get a little frustrated with me sometimes though, as I always wanted to know more about you She wasn't angry, I think she was just tired from repetition. I didn't need convinced Dad, I knew you were a special man but it meant so much more to hear her say it again and again and again and again.....I dreamed of meeting you.

She's a pretty special person Dad, you'd be so impressed with how strong she remained bringing me up as a single parent after you were gone. I have spent time thinking of that over the years, I don't believe I could be that strong. I wonder sometimes what you were both thinking walking down that wedding isle, both acutely aware of how little time together you both would have. I'm sad today Dad. I'm very very sad but that sadness is touched by a little glimmering light. You barely had enough time to get to know each other before you were parted. I have been very fortunate to have spent 40 years in your beautiful wifes company, it doesn't seem fair does that Dad. I got to spend so much longer with her than you did. Take care of her Dad, I know you will, she's on her way to you now. May you both enjoy every moment together. I've intended on staying behind for a while longer, but neither of you will ever be far away from my thoughts.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

That's beautiful Lifet. I wish you all strength and love for what you are and about to go through.

You take every ounce of care.

Love

NT
Old 06-10-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Very nice, indeed .... Sorry for your loss
Old 06-10-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so very sorry for your loss.
Your letter is absolutely lovely.
Take care & God bless
Old 06-10-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know how hard it is to loss a parent. I can not imagine how hard it could have been for your mom. Many many hugs to you. Stay strong!
Old 06-10-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Natty, your words of strength mean a lot.......even more so because I know, because of your random flippant statements at the cafe, when you speak, you speak from the heart, thank you. x
Old 06-10-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Beautiful lifeplant, I'm so very sorry, for the loss of your Dear Mother. Sending you hugs through this difficult time.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Natty firstly so sorry for both of your losses! Your letter was beautiful brought me to tears keep it close to your heart! Show mom and dad how well you are doing!
Old 06-10-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the loss of your mother.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for the loss of your mother, and I hope that you will be patient with yourself in these next couple weeks because losing a parent is very hard and you need to make sure to take extra care of yourself.

Thank you for sharing that beautiful letter with all of us. When my dad suddenly passed I bought my mom a journal to write letters to my dad when she missed him or just felt like she wanted to let him know what was going on in all of our lives. Writing to a deceased loved one can be very helpful and it is wonderful that you are able to express your feelings.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing that beautiful letter with us. It makes me realise what the important things are.

I'm sorry for your loss, may you find strength and peace to help get you through.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At last, 6 hours and 25 minutes of a plane, an airport lounge and a plane again and we're about to have blast off. Thanks all for your responses and say strong all.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that lifet - beautiful.
all your mates here are with you on the plane - in spirit anyway

D
Old 06-10-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That was extremely touching. I am very sorry for your loss. We are here for you.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Zee

So sorry for your loss.... I lost my mum 3 years ago... I miss her every day, but I can still get on with things... laugh, cry, get angry, be happy... life goes on... we are all just a speck on a bit of rock in a massive universe (that's my perspective) take care x
Old 06-10-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

All the Marchers are with you Life. I'm flying "with" you as it were.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your comforting posts. I am writing again because it is helping me work through this. I could write it all down on paper sure, and I have done, over and over. I have done since I knew how to write.

When I was younger writing journals, I often imagined the why if's?? The what if someone read them? I'm not sure whether deep down I wanted that or not but here in SR I think I do. I want to share without being shared, be visual without being visible and I want to hold on without being held.

Dear Dad, well, we're here with you now, well nearly, we're in the same country. I forgot how long these irish wakes go n for. Apparently over the years they've tamed it down, I can't even begin to think what yours must have been like.

Why does the order of the day involve whiskey Dad, it's the first thing even before seeing Mum. You could argue it's inappropriate given neither you nor Mum drank but I guess theres no one to argue with, no one sober that is!

We stayed up late last night, well, as you know, no one officially goes to sleep until their 'shift' is over. My shift was well over but the 'evangelise' came on the radio, I hadn't done that for years - I hadn't dropped everything, paused and prayed. It was amazing, it was like that game of 'sticky statues' everyone just froze and prayed. It didn't suddenly make me religious but it certainly made me think

I slept in the room with Mum last night, just me and her. The wake just kept on going, I had to call it quits. the bedroom blind is open today and they are all still traipsing in but I think Mum looks the better for the quiet time.

I did a little sneak peak yesterday. I went to your grave, did you know I was there, I tried to be quiet because I knew they were planning on disturbing you soon to plan for mum arriving.

Dad, this has been long, why did I not do this earlier. Next time I talk w you you will have your beautiful bride back with you again. You were taken way too young in life but thank you for having me and allowing me to share the life of a beautiful woman, your bride, your wife, my mum. xx
Old 06-16-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How could I forget. Happy Fathers Day Dad. xx
Old 06-16-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm trying to hold back the tears.... you wrote some very touching and beautiful things, and I am so very sorry for the loss of your mother and your father. Sending you a virtual hug and a lot of prayers.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you SB