Notices

Returning after too long

Old 06-10-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Returning after too long

It's been too long, and I know I need to revisit sobriety. I know I cannot do it alone, but that I have to want it. I have to work at it. I have to make it happen. No one can do it for me, but I do need others to help me along. There is no good excuse to drink, and mine is normally a bad reason. When you can't go without a drink, it's a problem. When you hide it, it's a problem. When it interferes with the happiness in your marriage, it's a problem.

So, I'll try again. And SR is where I was able to have some good long runs in the past, and I know if I dedicate my mindset to how wonderful it is to be sober, that it's worth the effort.

Many things I work hard for in life, and I love to reap the rewards of a job well done. This is no different, so why not? I have to give it a shot again (no pun intended).

Time to put the cap on the bottle and say no. I look forward to reading other's posts, finding inspiration in other's stories, and hopefully helping others along the way.

I'm an alcoholic and have been for years, and it's time I take responsibility for my actions. Yesterday, I put the bottle down at 4:30 p.m. (which is usually when I'm winding up). I don't expect a pat on the back, but I wanted you to know, this is truly a fresh start. Let the journey begin.

Prayers and well wishes for everyone here.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's all the support in the world here Marjoram - noones looking to leap on you making a mistake or anything

here's to day one

D
Old 06-10-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Marjoram, me too. I want today to be a new start. Leaving for work soon. My "witching hour" starts at 4:30. Today I want to get through it alcohol free. It is actually only a few hours. I never drink late. I just have those few hours to get through. You would think I could do it. 3 hours I have to find something else to do. Why is it so hard?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am with you Marjoram. I woke up this morning slightly hungover and tired of it. I also have had some great sober runs with the help of SR over the past two years and am ready to make a new commitment. Drinking simply isn't worth it anymore. It never was, really. And I am patting you on the back for stopping at 4:30. It may not seem like a big deal, but that isn't easy to do. If I had done the same, I would be a lot more clearheaded this morning. Like you, I manage to find any excuse to drink..stress, loss, endings, beginnings, happiness, celebration..you name it. But the truth is that I know that no drink or drinks compare even remotely to the pleasure I have with myself when I am sober. Today is a new start, good for you
Old 06-10-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Whether it's a few hours or all day, when you can't go without it, you know it's a problem. Drinking is so destructive to our bodies and our minds. It's amazing how much better off we can be without it. It's realizing that, and accepting that. And most importantly, putting it into motion. BecomingSober and FABL, every day has the possibility for a miracle. I wish you the best for today and every day. A start is better than no start at all.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're giving it another go!