Notices

Removed My "drinking buddies"

Old 06-10-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Removed My "drinking buddies"

So its been about 2 months since I relapsed but this time I gotter figured. I got rid of my friends who I'd regularly drink with and it definitely helped kick the habit. It was truly very hard though since they've been friends for many years and I left on a very bad note... fought both of them and we dont talk now. But in the long run waking up with energy and feeling great is worth it.

I do feel lonely but i'm slowly building a base of non-drinker friends. And It's also in my brain that i dont have fun without it but i know that its a social problem that i've developed from using alcohol as my confidence booster/social tool. I feel like i'm back to square one before I started drinking hard at age 18

I'm now 10 days sober but i dont like to count. Association with it is a negative thing, i'd rather take it out of my vocabulary

I really want to kick it this time and i'm willing to give up anything to do so.

Does anyone have any advice or a similar story? Also do you think i'm doing the right thing?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on doing what is best for you. I don't think cutting ties is always necessary, and I'd want to be careful not to blame my buddies for my own problems. But I know the feeling. The most depressing thing was when I quit, and get a call from a friend and I'd tell them that, there would be kind of an awkward 'oh.. ok.. talk to you later then.' To see the reason for our friendship so clearly stated was depressing.

And that conversation was with a brother, not just a buddy. Oh well.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm going on my 9th day and have been a drunk since I was 20.

I completely had to disconnect from all my old 'drinking friends' because I quit.

What's funny is that it didn't seem to hard for them to let me go, and I was the 'fun' one to go out with, the life of the party.

The handful of friends I have left are very happy I quit drinking and are excited for me. Now when I tell them ill be there for a gathering...I'm actually there...physically and mentally.

The fun part is still coming to me, I don't know who I am at 34 because for 14 years not a day passed where I didn't wind up black out drunk.

Best thing about this whole sober thing is I don't have to apologize. No more late night incoherent phone calls and text to friends, rambling post online, pissing in the oven (yes, that happened), or to my dogs for being to drunk to play with them or drive them to the park.

Most importantly, no more guilt for not being there for loved ones. Actually spending time with them without constantly looking for the escape hatch to I could go get my drink on. I'm personally finding out that being present is kinda rewarding itself.

Good luck!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was completely necessary for me.
I didn't look back, and neither did my drinking buds

My old life was good enough for the old me - but I needed a better one for the new improved sober me

D
Old 06-10-2013, 01:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good on you for taking that hard but necessary step. Good luck to you.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I give you big kudos for doing this. It is not easy, but you have to do what is best for you.

I think you are doing the right thing, I also had to give up some friends. We really had nothing in common but work and drinking and complaining about it.

My motto now is that nothing or nobody is more important than my sobriety. It might sound cold, but I wouldn't beable to do this any other way. I only surround myself with people who support my sobriety. Real friends will stick by you.

I had to change people, places and things when I finally stopped. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten off the merry-go-round I would have continued using these things as an excuse to keep drinking.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Brett you have to do what works got you! Everyone's game plan is different. If cutting people out works then it is what it is. Right now it's all about YOU... It won't be like this forever but let the concrete that is holding your sobriety dry!

Love the liver pics!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I discovered that my drinking buddies weren't really friends, they were just drinking companions. It's awkward being around them now. They seem embarrassed when I'm with them. We don't have anything to talk about since I've given up the drinking game.

I've moved on and found more interesting things to do with my life.