Notices

A Drop in the Ocean...

Old 06-09-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Drop in the Ocean...

I have one week sobriety today and I feel pretty darn good about that. I realize one week is but a drop in the ocean of recovery but it's the longest sober time I've put together since maybe 2010 where I'm guessing I had a week or two since I was on this site and remember getting through a least one weekend. Prior to that I was sober from November 2006 to the summer of 2007. I was a weekend binger from late 80's til late 1999 when a break-up catapulted me into an everydayer.

Alcohol is the apex of my addictive tendencies. I have struggled to quit smoking and a toxic/addictive relationship but I don't have a hope of ever giving up the latter if I don't the biggie...booze.

I really really want to learn to respect, trust and like myself...again, can't do that either if I keep drinking.

It's high time for a cool change. If I keep doing what I've always been doing, I'll get what I've always got... a whole lot of misery and failure.

Thanks for being with me this week SR...your stories have been my anchor. Thank you all so much.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks for sharing, Nuu! One week is awesome!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your week nuudawn

D
Old 06-09-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Welcome back

It really is amazing how much your life can change from just one simple thing. Knowing that the problem exists and being willing to change is sometimes hard to accept but waiting for something bad to happen is self destructive behavior, IMO.

It sounds like you are ready to make that change for good. Just don't drink and good things will come your way.

For me, giving up the beer and pot has meant clarity of thought in so many ways. My emotional state has steadily improved and my ability to deal with the challenges that life brings has increased. I know that everything would be right back to square one if I pick up that first beer.

Congratulations on your 1st week of sobriety.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nuudawn... you are doing awesome. I am so glad you are finding your feet, and those feet are walking a good path.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep on keepin on. I just think about today, not forever. We can do this! We have given being drunk a chance, so lets give being sober a shot for a while.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Nuudawn,
Re "a drop in the ocean":
Did you know that a drop of water has about 2,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 molecules of H2O in it?
It may be a "drop in the ocean" as you say...but looked at another way, that's enormous!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope4Life View Post
I know that everything would be right back to square one if I pick up that first beer..
I'm so tired of the same square one I've been spinning my wheels in morning after morning...

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
We have given being drunk a chance, so lets give being sober a shot for a while.
Amen Ache! That's exactly what I want...to see what the sober adventure of life is all about. Let's do this.