Notices

Sunshine - camping and cider

Old 06-09-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sunshine - camping and cider

You know what I have a massive issue with it is this

I can not drink but when the sun comes out my head says code Orr wine and lots ofit, it takes days together over it as it starts the ball rolling

Also the holiday feeling does the same, I go away or in the camper for the weekend with family and as soon as I do the little alcohol monster says - Drinking time. The last thing I want to do is drink but it just starts.

Does anyone else have this issue and how if anything do you manage it ??

Helpppppppp thanks
Old 06-09-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate big time!! The key is to not get "the ball rolling"! So I can't have that first drink.. I'm an alcoholic.. My brain is wired different than a normal persons.. I can hang out at parties but when it starts getting loud and people start feeling good it's time for me to go.. Always good for me to have an exit strategy in place.. Finding other sober friends to do all the fun outdoor activities has been a huge help for me.. Hope this helps! You can do it!!
Old 06-09-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Of course, its crap, but just remember the time you went camping, starting drinking during the day and woke up 2 days later, £200 lighter wanting to kill yourself!
Old 06-09-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Summer's are tough! But so far, I'm finding it quite refreshing to remember what I've been doing on a summer day. Too many the last few years, were just drunk blur's.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Blackandwhite25 View Post
You know what I have a massive issue with it is this

I can not drink but when the sun comes out my head says code Orr wine and lots ofit, it takes days together over it as it starts the ball rolling

Also the holiday feeling does the same, I go away or in the camper for the weekend with family and as soon as I do the little alcohol monster says - Drinking time. The last thing I want to do is drink but it just starts.

Does anyone else have this issue and how if anything do you manage it ??

Helpppppppp thanks
Yes, its called alcoholism and I think we all have it. You need to figure out a way to not drink at all and there a few great ways to accomplish this if you are willing and determined.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We all have to go through those "first-times" doing those things we did in the past when we were actively drinking. I've made it through many things and I just keep telling myself that I can do the next thing that comes along sober. Summer is really tough so I'm boosting up on my counseling as lwell as on my AA meeting attendance. It also makes it easier for me to know that so many others just like me are going through the same things!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi all, yes it sure is hard, guess the key for me is not to have the option, CBT booked for this week. Done last year September to March ok, Christmas fine odd, but the summer wow. Thanks for the support
Old 06-09-2013, 11:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Morning! I'm Somerset born and bred so yes I totally get the cider/sunshine thing! I never drank all throughout the day but I drank often, and once I got started...oh boy.

My last few days off it though have been SO productive and SO rewarding! We've been on hikes with the dogs, picnics where we packed a really nice non-alcoholic bubbly (no arguments over who's going to drive home!) and yesterday being able to pop out in the car at 3pm was a revelation! I didn't even realise what I'd been missing out on. I hope you'll have the same positive experience!
Old 06-10-2013, 12:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I used to have this issue. I guess it's because in the UK the rare sunny day is a cause for celebration. I used to go down to the beach on sunny days. I'd walk to the pub, walk past the pub, walk past the beer garden and walk to the other end of the promenade and sit there with a fizzy drink. God only knows how I did it. But I got used to it. The little voice in my head was saying 'Look everyone else has a pint, go get a pint and sit down on the beach for a bit, you deserve it'. Luckily the voice of reason in me knew it was a trick. You have to try and stop associating sunny weather with drinking. I came out of rehab during a heatwave. And I spent several weeks solidly on the beach, I did step work, I meditated. I did everything except drink. And then eventually my desire to drink on sunny days was gone, because I had managed to change my routine. It was hard, but it was worth it. This 'summer' I have a job. So I spent the majority of the sunny days working, but on the off days I have barbeques and I sit in the sun and read. You can change the association but it does take practise.

Natom.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Natom View Post
I used to have this issue. I guess it's because in the UK the rare sunny day is a cause for celebration. I used to go down to the beach on sunny days. I'd walk to the pub, walk past the pub, walk past the beer garden and walk to the other end of the promenade and sit there with a fizzy drink. God only knows how I did it. But I got used to it. The little voice in my head was saying 'Look everyone else has a pint, go get a pint and sit down on the beach for a bit, you deserve it'. Luckily the voice of reason in me knew it was a trick. You have to try and stop associating sunny weather with drinking. I came out of rehab during a heatwave. And I spent several weeks solidly on the beach, I did step work, I meditated. I did everything except drink. And then eventually my desire to drink on sunny days was gone, because I had managed to change my routine. It was hard, but it was worth it. This 'summer' I have a job. So I spent the majority of the sunny days working, but on the off days I have barbeques and I sit in the sun and read. You can change the association but it does take practise.

Natom.
Yes it is a bit about that, Christmas was odd not drinking summer worse, at Christmas I would get the feeling ok let have a drink it lasted longer than other times sometime, if bad I would go out and walk the dog or listen to a self mediation CD, but Natom your right it is association big time. Think I am going o be dog walking lots this summer !!!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all nice to know I am not alone in this madness
Old 06-10-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Blacknwhite25 we have something in common l attend caravan rallys my friends had arranged a surprise party which l couldnt attend too drunk its very hard too say no .l stumbled on this site this morning need some support has all my friend's drink .Good luck
Old 06-10-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by princessbella View Post
Blacknwhite25 we have something in common l attend caravan rallys my friends had arranged a surprise party which l couldnt attend too drunk its very hard too say no .l stumbled on this site this morning need some support has all my friend's drink .Good luck
Hi, yes mad isnt it, getting there slow and sure.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My pool and BBQ grill bring this for me.Your not alone....