Notices

Whats different about this time ???

Old 06-08-2013, 11:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Whats different about this time ???

Over the last 20 years I have quit so many times i have lost track.

Every time I would stop drinking, or at least claim to for someone else.
I never actually wanted to stop. I knew it was bad for me and all that, but I still wanted that next drink. Regardless of the consequences to my health or what I was doing to the people who care about me.

This time is different... I really don't want it anymore. I don't want this life of hiding and feeling like crap all the time. I know there will be cravings and I am at risk of relapse, but i actually feel different than i ever have about it.

After two weeks the worst of the withdrawals are over and i am looking forward to getting this recovery on the road. Wish all of you the best of luck and good health.

THANKS for all of your posts and advise. This is to me is like AA 24-7 and it really helps.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are right. In my job, I met plenty of alcoholics (while being an alcoholic in secret myself). I saw so many fail after being given awesome treatment opportunities because they never were doing it for themselves. I always used it as yet another excuse (among many) to keep on drinking and never try stopping. Why bother if I wasn't ready? I'd just fail.
When you do it for yourself, it is different. You're no longer trying to meet someone else's expectations, which in turn induces stress, which temps so many of us to drink again (or more).
Good luck at sobriety!
Old 06-09-2013, 02:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Being on SR has been central to me being sober for over two years and now having a life. Welcome- doing for yourself is the only reason to do it
Old 06-09-2013, 03:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by metalcut View Post
Over the last 20 years I have quit so many times i have lost track.

Every time I would stop drinking, or at least claim to for someone else.
I never actually wanted to stop. I knew it was bad for me and all that, but I still wanted that next drink. Regardless of the consequences to my health or what I was doing to the people who care about me.

This time is different... I really don't want it anymore. I don't want this life of hiding and feeling like crap all the time. I know there will be cravings and I am at risk of relapse, but i actually feel different than i ever have about it.

After two weeks the worst of the withdrawals are over and i am looking forward to getting this recovery on the road. Wish all of you the best of luck and good health.

THANKS for all of your posts and advise. This is to me is like AA 24-7 and it really helps.
I know how you feel. I feel the exact same way. The desire to drink is gone. I also just do not want it anymore. I have asked myself the same question several times...What it different this time?

I stopped asking. I am going with the gift I have been given. My withdrawal symptoms were mild and I have no cravings. There are times when life seem rough and I want to hide and make it all go away but I don't want to drink.

I go to AA. I have a sponsor and I am working the program. I just spent an amazing weekend with some really amazing people. I have never know such loving, giving and happy people in my entire life and I want to be one of them.

I can't really say the last time I tried to quit I did it for others, but in some ways I think I was. This time I did not think about others and I don't think I really thought to hard about me. I just surrendered. I stopped fighting. I took a leap of faith in AA and the people in AA.

I have a long way to go but I am surrounded by people that understand and that want, above all else, to help me. My sponsor thanks me for coming into her life. That is a new concept to me as I can't thank her enough for helping me find a new one.