Notices

I'm not!

Old 06-08-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm not!

I'm not a drinker never have been. But my boyfriend does to the point of passing out. I don't understand why people drink to the point of losing self respect. I'm very in control of my life. I'm what I consider a learner from others experiences I don't need to drink or use drug to know that it's not good for or others around you. But when I met my bf he was a weekend drinker,seven years later he's an everyday drinker he's what I consider a functional alcoholic. Functional to get up at 3:30 to workout and off to work for 7 in the morning till 3p.m. And as he gets home he has a dam forty and a half a pint of e&j or Paul mason. I have told him on several occations he's killing himself and this relationship in one ear out the other. today I told him I'm done I can't do it anymore. I told him I changed the locks. He loves to drink and hang out with his friends and I told him no one needs that. His come back is I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm tired of kicking him out and he will stay at his mom but refuses to leave forever and his dam mother always letting him stay there enabling him to continue his behavior when she know all to well her husband is doing it to her. His grandparents both we alcoholics his biological dad is also one. He will stop for a weeks time but the moment he drinks that first beer and nip its all hell broke lose wants to makeup for the days he didn't drink.

Last edited by Strike2; 06-08-2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Corrections
Old 06-08-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not sure what you are looking for here....
Old 06-08-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't understand when he is sober he's the greates person to be around.. But when he drinks he's not violent he just sleeps for hours till the next day. And the behavior continues all over again. He needs help and I can not help him he's beyond help.. And he doesn't want to leave regardless of the outlets times Iv told him this isnt health for neither one of us especially me.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Help for him. What I need to be a drinker to get him help.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Strike - welcome

we have many members here who've dealt with a loved ones drinking or drug use so you are in the right place

We also have a Family and Friends forum section you can check out as well

As a drinker I know I was in denial of my problem - I was having a good time and anyone who criticised that obviously had their own problems. Noone could tell me anything.

Later on, even I couldn't deny my problem - but it took me an awful lot of ridiculousness to get there.

Can you accept it's not actually your responsibility to get him help?

He needs to accept there's a problem first, then he needs to find the hellp he needs.

I guess what you need to decide is how much you're prepared to take?

D
Old 06-08-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can check out AlAnon as a resource for you.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You may want to check out the family and friends forum here, or consider Al anon. However, I disagree with your statement he is beyond help...it's never too late for for help. Lots of people here have been similar to him, and are getting help!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It doesn't sound like you are as in control of your life as you think you are. Sounds like your boyfriend is running the show in a lot of aspects.

You may want to post this on our friends and family forum. Here is the link:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Oh, and welcome to SR. I really do wish you the best and I think you will find a load of understanding and support at the above link.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

How much of his behavior are you willing to tolerate? It won't get better, only worse. I hope you can find peace in your life and a new life on your own.