Notices

Thank you!

Old 06-07-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank you!

Thank you SR Community!

I was thinking for some time to join and post.In my mind, the first post was all about numbers and landmarks and evidence to sum up my progress. But I never imagined that it will be about emotions and gratitude. If I wouldn't have found this amazing Community, I am sure my story would be much different. So, once again Thank you!

Now the numbers and landmarks: I am with the Class of February 2012. According Sobriety Calculator I am 469 days sober. I found SR somewhere in March/ April 2012 and fell in love with it. By the spring of 2012 I was in the "pink cloud" phase and it lasted for weeks but then during the Summer I had the PAWS. By that time I was still counting each day, week, month and this minor progress was very important. In October I stopped counting the days and then the weeks and now I can barelly remember the months.

Slowly, while still counting the days without understanding exactly why I was doing it, I learned (from all of you) that the voice in my head (that was so loud telling me I was so lame) was my addictive voice and, eventually, it will shut down. That the rollercoaster of bad feelings (the anger, the mood swings, irritability, tiredness) is the PAWS and it will stop. Most important, that the SELF ESTEEM and SELF LOVE are part of me and even if I lost them due to depresion, with patience and with a clear mind, they will come back. And they'd came back. I am less than 1.5 years sober but I am years away in terms of confidence from where I started.

I had not fixed yet all that I have lost. Some things will never be fixed. Still living with my parents but just bought a place for myself. Still "isolated" (surelly isolation plays an important role in Sobriety but I can't figure out yet if it's good or bad) but Summer is here.

Sorry for the misspelling and grammar mistakes...
Old 06-07-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's just tremendous!!! Congrats

So happy for you! Yes, I too believe isolation can play a big role in all the dysfunction... it certainly does for me. I have to guard myself against it constantly. It really is true what "they" say about the thing you find most uncomfortable to imagine doing... might be the thing you need most.

Congrats on buying your new place!!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

What an awesome read. So inspiring. Thank you for posting!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Sun

D
Old 06-07-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sun you should keep posting I think you have a lot of good to share
Old 06-07-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you very much Sun for your post....it was just what I needed to read right now! Congratulations!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow! So glad to have you here! We're you following the class and forum in general all that time?
Old 06-07-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome sun78! So pleased to finally 'meet' you! I'm glad you've been helped by being here. I immediately felt comforted - and not alone anymore when I first joined.

It's great to hear of the progress you've made. Congratulations on your own place. I hope you'll keep posting.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love these posts. They really inspire and encourage me. Congratulations on your progress Sun
Old 06-07-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That was so inspiring. Thank you for sharing and congrats!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OneLessLonely View Post
Wow! So glad to have you here! We're you following the class and forum in general all that time?
Hi
If I have a motto, is this: reading saved my life.
I am from a part of the world where support for Depression still sounds like "you'll get over it" and "get up, you are a man". But this is another story...

Back to your question. I needed support and, days into my early sobriety, I found a forum (a different one) with maybe 200 pages and read it all in a span of 1 week. But after reading all, I got so frustrated waiting for days for a new post to appear. Still reading there sometimes to remember the first days but I lost the feeling of home.

And then, one day I typed "alcoholism forum" on Google and it brought me here. The structure and the quality of information is amazing. I like the most this thread (Newcomers to Recovery) and this is HOME. I guess the most important feeling I have when entering here is comfort (as Hevyn said). I read this thread almost every day. It also gives me motivation and keeps me aware that Alcoholism is PROGRESSIVE and makes me remember not to drink TODAY.

Class of February 2012 has no activity, but it made me decide to join. You know that when you are not a member you can't search or see the personal profiles and statistics of the members. So, yesterday evening, I wanted to search what some of the members of "my" class are doing and so I joined.

Then I remembered that Friday is my sobriety day and that I promised myself I will try to give back just a little of all what SR gave me.

Regargind posting on SR, until now it was "Thank you that you exist". Now I say "Thank you for listening" and "Thank you for being so supportive".
Old 06-08-2013, 01:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Sun, 469 days sober? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Your posts have touched my heart. I often see "guests" looking at various threads, and I wonder what their story is and hope they are being inspired to take control of their lives and get sober. I'm really glad you joined and can share in this community!
Old 06-08-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Sun, I also spent a good amount of time reading before I "activated." I think a huge number of people read and learn in this way, and maybe never even end up posting. Makes you think about the true "reach" of SR... Welcome!