Notices

Terry's Nails

Old 06-07-2013, 12:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Terry's Nails

Hi,

I am new on here and seem to have Terry's Nails. Can this be a symptom of fatty liver or is it only when the liver is badly damaged?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

I've never heard of this before Rachel.

sounds like it could be a good many things
White nails

If most of the nail plate has turned white and it is not because the nail has become detached from the nail bed, it is likely to be either a fungal nail infection or a sign of decreased blood supply to the nail bed, known as "Terry's nails".

Terry's nails are typically white with reddened or dark tips and can be a sign of a wide range of medical conditions, including the following:

liver cirrhosis (scarring and damage to the liver) – about 80% of people with cirrhosis have Terry's nails
liver, kidney or heart failure
diabetes
iron-deficiency anaemia, which is a reduced number of red blood cells due to a lack of iron in the body
chemotherapy
an overactive thyroid (where the thyroid gland in your neck produces too many hormones)
malnutrition

Nail abnormalities - NHS Choices

why not see your Dr and find out for sure?

D
Old 06-07-2013, 01:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your welcome and reply. I am just really frightened to go to the doctors. Last time I went for a blood test for something unrelated and they have asked me to go back for another test to look at my liver function, B12 and folate.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Rachel

Your doc is there to help you. If something serious is developing it's far better to find out early so that necessary treatment can start quickly.

How is your sobriety or drinking at the moment?
Old 06-07-2013, 01:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just feel so frightened to go. I have tried stopping but I am drinking 15-20 units per evening.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

Its not easy I know
Old 06-07-2013, 01:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering

Originally Posted by rachel31 View Post
I just feel so frightened to go. I have tried stopping but I am drinking 15-20 units per evening.
Rachel

I'm sure you know - you're drinking the maximum recommended weekly alcohol intake for a woman each day. But this site is full of people who have recovered from strong addictions - there is escape. Your doc is there to help you and seeing them early will help.

Have you looked for other help, such as AA? That doesn't replace seeing your doc, but you'll get a lot of support and help locally, and from people who know what you are going through.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I haven't looked at other help- just this site. I have read about AA but I am not sure.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rachel31 View Post
I haven't looked at other help- just this site. I have read about AA but I am not sure.

Rachel, you really should see your doctor. The amount you drink each day is very harmful. Your posts suggest you need help. You should start considering a plan for getting sober, and getting healthy. And please keep coming to this site; you will find a lot of support here.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rachel: I'm no one to talk because I was/am a heavy drinker, but 15-20 units (of whatever) per night is extremely bad for you. Please go get some help. And even if there is damage, modern medicine is really good. Do it for yourself...take care of the problem.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Going to the doctor is truly very scary but it is the one thing that got me on track. I took my mom with me; is there anyone that can go with you that you feel comfortable with? Sometimes you need someone to ask all the questions and take notes.

Do you have insurance? I highly recommend intensive outpatient treatment. It saved my life. I don't know about detox or inpatient; that is not the route that I went. But IOP has truly kept me responsible with 4 meetings a week, UAs, and AA meeting requirements. It is a lot and very overwhelming but it is worth it.

Going to the doctor's will either give you bad news or good news. But you won't know what you have unless you go. They can't help you unless you truthfully tell them the whole story. It can't hurt to go.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hoping you go get immediate help from a doc! Sounds bad. Please take care.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I was actively drinking, I too, didn't like going to the doctor. I believe it was because I knew I was trashing my body and was ashamed and felt judged. Now that I'm sober, I'm finding that I'm not afraid to go to the doctor anymore. In fact I have a full physical scheduled in a few weeks. I'm nervous about what I may find out but at least I will know. I hope you find the strength to stop drinking and seek the medical help; you are worth it!
Old 06-09-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your support. I actually rang AA on Friday and a lady called me back to talk yesterday. I was photographing a wedding so could not speak but am going to call her back.