Notices

Things Took a Turn for the Worst

Old 06-06-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things Took a Turn for the Worst

I relapsed yesterday after having a good amount of sobriety under my belt and consumed two bottles of wine. I went to bed at a decent time and woke up feeling a little "off." I brushed off the confusion contributing it to my prior binge and proceeded to work feeling awful about my relapse.

During my long commute, I suddenly started feeling weird... My legs began to tingle and then feel heavy like lead. Then my arms began to tingle and my muscles began to feel rigid. I frantically pulled over and was barely able to do so. I frantically tried to call 911 but I lost control of my left hand. It completely seized into a fist and I couldn't stop convulsing. I had realized my brain had lost communication with my muscles and it hit me, I'm having a seizure. It was short lived and I had tremors for a good 3 hours afterward but its subsided now.

It was absolutely terrifying and am currently overwhelmed with feelings of shame. Don't know why I tried to "experiment" with my sobriety. Its not like I didn't know any better deep down. Its not like I haven't read threads from others here describing what had happened to them when they tried to control their drinking. In fact, that is the main reason why I am posting this experience, so that others can see what happened to me after just one night of binging; Its just not worth it.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can stay sober from now on.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Please go and get yourself checked out by a Dr if you haven't already , i'd sleep better

Welcome back ,

M
Old 06-06-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you're feeling ok - but yeah please do get checked out if you haven't been already, ok?

D
Old 06-07-2013, 01:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this. It has reminded me again of why I do not want to drink ever again and hopefully it will help others who are tempted.

Thank goodness you were able to pull over in traffic and not cause serious harm to yourself or others.

Glad you are back on track.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Please please please go to a Dr!!!!!! When there are issues on your left side they tend to be cardiac issues. People always think the liver is the most effected organ from drinking. Drinking can lead you to complete heart failure, and stroke. Left upper extremity immobility is a dangerous symptom not to be brushed off.

In glad you are here and recommitted to your sobriety with all of us.
Take care and please let us know how your going!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That sounds like a terrible experience and am so glad you were able to pull over. I hope that you went to the doctor, and if not, please do. I'm grateful that you shared your experience, it's a perfect reminder of the reality of relapse. Thank you so much for sharing this, and please give us an update on how you're feeling.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Glad you are feeling better, and I hope you are taking the advice posted above and geting checked out by a doctor. Thanks for posting. I, too, think its important we post about our downs as well as our ups. If even one person stays sober one day because they didn't want to do what I did, then it's worth it.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear this happened to you. Seizures are scary and should be known to your doctor. I'm glad you made it back from your experiment. Some people don't
Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
I relapsed yesterday after having a good amount of sobriety under my belt and consumed two bottles of wine. I went to bed at a decent time and woke up feeling a little "off." I brushed off the confusion contributing it to my prior binge and proceeded to work feeling awful about my relapse.

During my long commute, I suddenly started feeling weird... My legs began to tingle and then feel heavy like lead. Then my arms began to tingle and my muscles began to feel rigid. I frantically pulled over and was barely able to do so. I frantically tried to call 911 but I lost control of my left hand. It completely seized into a fist and I couldn't stop convulsing. I had realized my brain had lost communication with my muscles and it hit me, I'm having a seizure. It was short lived and I had tremors for a good 3 hours afterward but its subsided now.

It was absolutely terrifying and am currently overwhelmed with feelings of shame. Don't know why I tried to "experiment" with my sobriety. Its not like I didn't know any better deep down. Its not like I haven't read threads from others here describing what had happened to them when they tried to control their drinking. In fact, that is the main reason why I am posting this experience, so that others can see what happened to me after just one night of binging; Its just not worth it.

Wow, that is super scary. Having a seizure was one of the things that always scared me the most. They say once you have that first one, you can expect them again anytime you drink. Get back on that horse and try again, and with this horrifying experience, you are sure to have much better resolve to stick with it. I am so glad you are okay, phew.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tried to make an appointment with my primary care physician but since I switched over to the new insurance I havent seen a PCP yet so Im waiting for someone to call me back in regards to making an appointment.

I went to the ER and the EKG(?) came back normal. Heart is fine and so are my lungs. Now, my brain on the other hand... who knows.

Im actually going to work today... hope everything will be fine. Im thinking it was the combo of the binge before plus the 16oz of coffee and two cigs that combined to cause the seizure. Not sure.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

New I'm so glad you are being proactive with your medical care! And I'm glad you are feeling better
Old 06-07-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
Tried to make an appointment with my primary care physician but since I switched over to the new insurance I havent seen a PCP yet so Im waiting for someone to call me back in regards to making an appointment.

I went to the ER and the EKG(?) came back normal. Heart is fine and so are my lungs. Now, my brain on the other hand... who knows.

Im actually going to work today... hope everything will be fine. Im thinking it was the combo of the binge before plus the 16oz of coffee and two cigs that combined to cause the seizure. Not sure.
I find myself to be hyper-sensitive to caffiene after quitting. Certainly wait to find out what your doc says, but I can't imagine a big jolt of Caffeine plus nicotine helps, espeically after a period of sobriety and then a binge. Best of luck, that's some scary stuff.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Very frightening experience for you New Hope. Sorry to hear you had to endure that. (a lonely place no doubt). Thank you for sharing. Thankfully no one was hurt. And you can get yourself checked out and use this frightening experience to will you on in your recovery. Best wishes.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That sound terrifying I'm so sorry. Hope you can get checked out by your dr ASAP. Feel better.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow! You experienced my worst fear!! When I quit and was withdrawing I was petrified I would have a heart attack or seizure while I was driving to work. Thankfully it didn't happen but this was just the reality check I needed to remind me why I quit 9 months ago. If I find myself ever with a drink in my hand again I will reach for this story in my toolbox. Scary.

So glad you are ok. Thank you so much for sharing. You helped this alcoholic today!!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
instant

Hope you feel better soon
Old 06-07-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad you are ok!!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

That is so scary! I didn't realize it could happen after a binge like that. Thank you for the info, and please take good care of yourself!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry. My thoughts go out to you, that must have been terrifying. I also had to once pull over due to panic. I got myself to a doctor somehow, drove right up to the ER in fact - it was a very scary experience. Thank you for being brave enough to share, and be well.