A codependency mitigating technique I made up yesterday

Old 06-06-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Arrow A codependency mitigating technique I made up yesterday

Dear SR friends

I have not been around much lately, as I arrived to DC and have been busy solving all kinds of matters. I am kind of in a funk these days, not sure why, but I decided to TAKE CARE OF MYSELF TODAY!

I took time for a good breakfast, and am making efforts to do a good job today. On Sat. I will be walking 1 km with other people who support Gaza peace. Money raised will go to kids counseling as sadly many of the kids suffer from depression and PTSD. (Ok just writing this made me want to cry ).

Last weekend I met an artist from NY / he was interested in my creative ideas and it was an uplifting conversation. He makes documentaries about my country (Mexico) and lives where I used to live, so we had stuff to talk about. His work has been shown in the MOMA, Guggenhaim, etc... (finally a real artist, not like many wannabes I know... rant over.)

He was kind of flirty and mentioned he would be going to NY in 3 weeks and that it would be great if we meet again to keep talking because our time was limited, he was just here in passing.

We have chatted in Facebook and I sent him some stuff, he has not answered yet so of course my codie traits appear with their ugly head.. I started obsessing. Of course, I have no control over him. He has a son and works as a professor and has N projects and appointments going on.

It is shocking how easy a natural situation can become hell when codependency strikes. I also started worrying about him not caring, or criticizing what I have shared. Sheesh.

So yesterday I wanted to contact him again and I thought "OK, I will contact him.. AFTER I contact 20 of my friends, who I have basically ignored for weeks or months now"

So I talked to 3 friends and
/one was very supportive and provided great ideas and feedback
/one let me know she cares about me
/one mentioned a magazine he created and now I will publish a column in it, also we mentioned it would be fun to create our Wikipedia entries so we will interview each other soon and write about each other's biography, LOL

This is my advice today... if everything fails, force social exhaustion, plans will come up, activities will come up, hopefully healthier feelings come up, and there is a glimpse of sanity.

I still have 17 people to go and hopefully that buys me a few more days, where hopefully I am back to my "Zen place" and can flow again, and keep interacting with this man in a healthier way.

I hope some of this made sense! ((HUGS))
Old 06-06-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are an inspiration, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Makes perfect sense TC. It's so hard to put stuff out there and let the universe decide the outcome! Something I have to remind myself all the time. Whatever allows you to let it go is a good technique!

L
Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow TC, well done! I totally agree. When I start obsessing, I have to FORCE myself out of it. And I mean haul my butt into something seriously distracting. Your idea of calling friends instead is brilliant! I am going to try it next time.

Thanks for sharing!
~T
Old 06-06-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've done that too.
That's a good idea. Much better to reach out to people you know care than one who is still iffy.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a great plan you made for yourself! I love your idea to say,.... " sure, Self, you can have your treat AFTER you Do This Healthy Thing that you've been needing to do."

:YOU GO GIRL!!:
Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome idea, TC! Thank you.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Bravo!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I needed to read this today. Thank you for posting! Way to go
Old 06-07-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

good to hear from u!!

taking care of me today with a cup of coffee!