Notices

So I dropped the ball again...

Old 06-06-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I dropped the ball again...

Couldn't even make it a week. And I have some cold beer left in the fridge at home that keeps calling my name.

Ugghh this perpetual struggle is starting to get me down
Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you going to drink the beer or pour them down the drain?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by jaybee1 View Post
Ugghh this perpetual struggle is starting to get me down
If you think about it, the alternative is even more horrifying.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Are you going to drink the beer or pour them down the drain?
I don't even want to look at them. Maybe I'll ask my wife to get rid of them for me...
Old 06-06-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't even want to look at them. Maybe I'll ask my wife to get rid of them for me...
Bottom line, we need to want sobriety more than drinking to make it stick. I threw away/poured out plenty of beer but there's still unlimited amounts at the nearest convenience store, or bar... Not suggesting you should keep it around of course, but simply removing it wont' cure the cravings. What recovery method/plan are you trying to use?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
What recovery method/plan are you trying to use?
I'm still trying to figure that out. AA doesn't resonate well with me, so I'm trying to look into other methods\programs.

One thing is for sure though. My methods/plans to date have been an epic failure.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I dunno....I think doing it yourself might be more empowering? Are you afraid too? How many you got in your fridge? I got two Molson Canadians in mine that I"ve been thinking bout getting rid of. My last drinks were last Sunday. Beers not really my poison of choice..but they are there in a pinch. I thought I'd leave them there in case someone came over...but it's probably not too wise.

Wanna get rid of them together my brother?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I dunno....I think doing it yourself might be more empowering? Are you afraid too? How many you got in your fridge? I got two Molson Canadians in mine that I"ve been thinking bout getting rid of. My last drinks were last Sunday. Beers not really my poison of choice..but they are there in a pinch. I thought I'd leave them there in case someone came over...but it's probably not too wise.

Wanna get rid of them together my brother?
I think there are five left in there. You know the last time I put together any amount of sobriety (less than 3 weeks) I had a few cold ones, and half bottle of Canadian Club in the house, and it didn't bother me. This time around just knowing there are five cold beer in the fridge waiting for me when I get home is driving me mad.

I'm with ya. They have to go!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm still trying to figure that out. AA doesn't resonate well with me, so I'm trying to look into other methods\programs.

One thing is for sure though. My methods/plans to date have been an epic failure.
Dedication is the key. None of the methods work if you don't dedicate yourself 100% to quitting. AA is not for everyone to be sure ( myself included ) but don't discount it 100% if you haven't actually been to a few meetings.

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was NEEDING to drink just to feel normal, vs drinking to escape ( which was also unhealthy in retrospect )
Old 06-06-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

K..jaybee... I'm going to go pour them out. With me?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

OMG ..that was sort of surreal. They weren't really bothering me sitting in the fridge..but pouring them out just now was a strain of some sort. I mean I did it very quickly but the emotions were pinging around too fast for me to even identify what they were.

Mostly, I felt like a loser for having to do it. "Normal" people don't have to pour perfectly good beer down the drain.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

OMG ..that was sort of surreal. They weren't really bothering me sitting in the fridge..but pouring them out just now was a strain of some sort. I mean I did it very quickly but the emotions were pinging around too fast for me to even identify what they were.

Mostly, I felt like a loser for having to do it. "Normal" people don't have to pour perfectly good beer down the drain.
Just got home, mowed the lawn, and came back in and dumped it down the drain. And let me tell you it wasn't easy. I love to crack a beer after mowing the lawn...

I couldn't help but feel the same way. Also made me realize what an incredible waste of money this stuff is. Literally going down the drain....
Old 06-06-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Woot woot...awesome Jaybee! Happy for us...one less temptation of the multitude to face in our sober journey. All I can do is one day at a time. I know there is much talk of a sober plan (and yes, I've written a list of things to do "instead of")..but I'm not sure where I'm going with this other than a step at a time. I've done the AA thing before and I"ve read extensively on addiction. I know enough to know that information is not..transformation. Having sober buddies and empathetic ears help tremendously I think.

Ya..the pouring it down the drain thing was tougher than I thought hey? It was really freaking uncomfortable..but glad it's done. Just gotta get through the rest of today and put another sober one under my belt...build the sober muscle..day by day..or night by night..or minute by minute..lol